Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric potential and conducting wire

1. May 18, 2014 #1
    There are two sphere of radius a and b and they are connected by conducting wire. Then why the electric potential becomes same of both the sphere?

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2014 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Let's say there was a small potential difference initially between the spheres when you connected them with the conducting wire. What happens next?

4. May 18, 2014 #3
    I don't know what happens next that was I am asking to you. Why potential becomes same?

5. May 18, 2014 #4

berkeman

And I'm asking you -- when you have a potential difference across a conducting wire's ends, what happens? Approximate the wire as a 1 Ohm resistor for simplicity. What is Ohm's Law?

6. May 18, 2014 #5
    I think electron will move from higher potential to lower potential.

7. May 18, 2014 #6

berkeman

Good! What does that electron movement do to the overall potential difference between the two spheres?

8. May 18, 2014 #7
    Electron moving from higher potential it will release the energy and higher potential decrease?

9. May 18, 2014 #8

berkeman

Correct, the potential decreases. Just think of the 2 spheres as the 2 plates of a parallel-plate capacitor. When you have a charged-up capacitor, and you connect a resistor across the terminals of the capacitor, the capacitor discharges through the resistor until there is 0 Volts across the capacitor (so the plates are at the same potential).

Does that make sense?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook