1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Potential in a triangle

1. Feb 28, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What is the electric potential at the point indicated with the dot in the figure?
    The dot is in the center of an equilateral triangle with sides of 3 cm. The top point is a +2 uC charge and the bottom points are both -1 uC charges.

2. Relevant equations

V= kq/r

3. The attempt at a solution

I used 1.299 cm the distance from the center point to the charges. I then plugged in the values for each point and added them up. I DID however use +1 for the -1 uC charges because they add to the electric potential right?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2010 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

You must use -1 x 10^(-6) for the -1 μC charge. The potential from the negative charge tends to cancel the potential from the positive charge. If you imagine the + and - charges slowly moving toward each other, the potential will not change suddenly when the charges contact and cancel each other out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook