Electric potential of a charged ring

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the electric potential of a uniformly charged ring of radius R with a linear charge density λ. The provided solution has a small mistake in substituting Y_lm instead of Y*_lm, but it does not affect the result. After picking phi=0 and using the delta in (8), the solution uses the azimuthal symmetry to simplify the integral and obtain 2*pi*delta_m0. This is because the integral over phi' is 1 for m=0 and 0 for all other m values, resulting in a final answer independent of phi.
MMS

Homework Statement

Find the electric potential of a ring of radius R that is charged uniformly with a linear charge density λ.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I wasn't sure which section to post this in but I finally landed here. It isn't really a problem that I'm troubled solving. Rather, it's something in the solution given I'm troubled understanding.
Here's the full solution: http://docdro.id/lhpIgyS

First off, I believe they messed up a little substituting Y_lm (not Y*_lm) as the exponent is exp(-i*m*phi) rather than exp(i*m*phi).
However, What's really bugging me is what they did after picking phi=0 and using the delta in (8).
I'm really not sure what went there. It seems as if they used some sort of orthogonality expression, I'm assuming that of spherical harmonics. If they did do so, I can't see what manipulations they did to get 2*pi*delta_m0.
It hints that m'=0 but there is no m' here. Also, assuming there was, they picked it to be 0 because of the azimuthal symmetry?
Moreover, if they did use the orthogonality expression of spherical harmonics, why is there no delta_ll'?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
MMS said:
First off, I believe they messed up a little substituting Y_lm (not Y*_lm) as the exponent is exp(-i*m*phi) rather than exp(i*m*phi).
Yes, you are right. But their mistake won't affect the result.
However, What's really bugging me is what they did after picking phi=0 and using the delta in (8).
...I can't see what manipulations they did to get 2*pi*delta_m0.
It hints that m'=0 but there is no m' here. Also, assuming there was, they picked it to be 0 because of the azimuthal symmetry?

Note that they picked ##\phi = 0##. You should be able to use the azimuthal symmetry to see why you can do this.

Once you let ##\phi = 0## you are left with just the integral ##\int_{0}^{2\pi} e^{-im\phi'} d\phi'##. What is the result of carrying out this integral? Consider the case where ##m = 0## as well as ##m \neq 0##.

TSny said:
Note that they picked ##\phi = 0##. You should be able to use the azimuthal symmetry to see why you can do this.

Once you let ##\phi = 0## you are left with just the integral ##\int_{0}^{2\pi} e^{-im\phi'} d\phi'##. What is the result of carrying out this integral? Consider the case where ##m = 0## as well as ##m \neq 0##.

God I hate doing physics late at night.

For m=0 it's instantly 2*pi since it's an integral over 1.
For any m≠0 the integral would be that of sine\cosine from 0 to 2*pi which clearly gives 0.
easier way of writing this would be 2*pi*delta_m0.

Thank you TSny for bringing this to my attention. It was starting to piss me off a little. :P

Also, if I may, I want to make sure I understand something in this question or in similar problems so I'd be happy if you could verify the following:

Picking phi=0 here is merely because of the symmetry of the problem that suggests that the final answer won't be dependent of phi.
However, it does not suggest that m=0 necessarily. It simply means that I can pick whichever angle phi I desire to observe the potential of the ring from. For instance, if it were simpler, we could've picked phi=pi or something else.

Yes, that's right. For this problem it isn't necessary to choose a value for ##\phi##. The factor ##e^{im\phi}## can be pulled out of the integral since it doesn't depend on ##\phi'##. So, the integral over ##\phi'## will still force ##m## to be zero. Then, with ##m = 0##, ##e^{im\phi} = 1##, independent of ##\phi##.

TSny said:
Yes, that's right. For this problem it isn't necessary to choose a value for ##\phi##. The factor ##e^{im\phi}## can be pulled out of the integral since it doesn't depend on ##\phi'##. So, the integral over ##\phi'## will still force ##m## to be zero. Then, with ##m = 0##, ##e^{im\phi} = 1##, independent of ##\phi##.
Got it. Thanks for the help TSny!

What is the electric potential of a charged ring?

The electric potential of a charged ring is the amount of work needed to bring a unit positive charge from infinity to a point on the ring, divided by the charge of that unit positive charge.

How is the electric potential of a charged ring calculated?

The electric potential of a charged ring can be calculated using the formula V = kQ/r, where k is the Coulomb constant, Q is the charge on the ring, and r is the distance from the center of the ring to the point at which the potential is being measured.

What factors affect the electric potential of a charged ring?

The electric potential of a charged ring is affected by the charge on the ring, the distance from the center of the ring, and the Coulomb constant.

What is the relationship between the electric potential and electric field of a charged ring?

The electric potential and electric field of a charged ring are related through the equation E = -∇V, where E is the electric field, V is the electric potential, and ∇ is the gradient operator.

How does the electric potential of a charged ring change with distance from the center of the ring?

The electric potential of a charged ring decreases with increasing distance from the center of the ring, according to the inverse square law. This means that the potential decreases by a factor of four as the distance from the center doubles.