Electric power for lift and torque

In summary, a propeller-activated electric motor is sufficient to lift a one tonne dead-weight. The generated electric field is sufficient to generate a magnetic field, which is sufficient to lift the dead-weight.
elmarsur
One tonne dead-weight is to be lifted in the air and moved horizontally by means of a propeller activated by electric motor.
Questions:
(1) What is the electric power (components U, I) sufficient and necessary for the task?
(2) If, instead of (1), the generated electric field is used to generate a magnetic field, what will be the latter's B and H?
Is this magnetic field sufficient to lift the dead-weight?

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
elmarsur said:
One tonne dead-weight is to be lifted in the air and moved horizontally by means of a propeller activated by electric motor.
Questions:
(1) What is the electric power (components U, I) sufficient and necessary for the task?
(2) If, instead of (1), the generated electric field is used to generate a magnetic field, what will be the latter's B and H?
Is this magnetic field sufficient to lift the dead-weight?

Thank you in advance.

Propeller? What is the context of your question? What is this propeller acting in? Air? Water?

In the air.

elmarsur said:
In the air.

You mean like an electric helicopter? Yikes!

haha,
Yes. I am building a generator and I would like to clear these notions. I would greatly appreciate your help with this.

elmarsur said:
haha,
Yes. I am building a generator and I would like to clear these notions. I would greatly appreciate your help with this.

Why does it need to be a helicopter? Why not just a conventional crane vehicle?

Electric power required would be zero. There is no minimum amount of power required for flight. Consider an object resting on a table, for example. No power is consumed.

What you can do is estimate the power given a certain disk loading. So if you said that you want to have a prop 10m in diameter, then one can say roughly how much power would be required. Bigger prop means less power. Of course, at some point, the weight you add by making the prop larger starts to dominate, and at that point, you no longer win anything from bigger prop.

berkeman:
The total project is larger than this aspect, and a crane would not do.K^2:
Would you care to enlighten me, please? No power?

Last edited:
Of course. If an object isn't moving, no work is being done. Fundamental power requirement is zero. A magnet levitating over a superconductor consumes no power. And if you think about it, the object resting on a table is really suspended by electrostatic interaction between the table and the object. Again, no power is consumed.

Want something closer to conventional flight? Consider a helium balloon. It can be weighed to be neutrally buoyant, in which case it is suspended with no energy source required.

Aerodynamic lift wastes power because you have to accelerate air mass. You are moving something while applying force to it, and therefore, you are doing work. That means energy consumption. But the more air you can grab, the less you need to move it, and the less energy it takes. Ever wondered why sail planes have such long wings? If you can make very, very large wings or propeller that weigh nothing, you can be wasting almost no power to keep an arbitrary weight afloat. The question is, how big can you make your lifting surface without it becoming the most massive part of your contraption.

Thank you very much, K^2.

If you do specialize in aerodynamics, would it be all right to contact you through your email or only here?

Um. I know a little bit of aerodynamics. I'm by no means an expert, but you probably don't need anything terribly complex.

I think, the PM system on this forum should be adequate, but I can PM you my e-mail address if you think it's necessary.

It will involve some questions on levitation and angular velocities.
Is it of interest?

1. What is electric power for lift and torque?

Electric power for lift and torque refers to the use of electricity to generate the necessary force and torque to lift and move objects. It is commonly used in various industries, such as manufacturing, transportation, and construction.

2. How does electric power create lift and torque?

Electric power creates lift and torque by converting electrical energy into mechanical energy. This is typically achieved through the use of electric motors, which use electromagnetic principles to produce rotational force and torque.

3. What are the benefits of using electric power for lift and torque?

The use of electric power for lift and torque offers several benefits, including high efficiency, precise control, and low maintenance costs. It also produces minimal noise and emissions, making it a more environmentally friendly option compared to traditional fossil fuel-powered systems.

4. What types of machines and equipment use electric power for lift and torque?

Electric power for lift and torque can be used in a wide range of machines and equipment, including elevators, cranes, forklifts, robots, and various industrial machinery. It is also commonly used in electric vehicles for propulsion and braking.

5. What are the safety considerations when using electric power for lift and torque?

When using electric power for lift and torque, it is important to follow proper safety protocols to prevent accidents and injuries. This may include regular maintenance and inspections of equipment, proper training for operators, and following all safety guidelines and regulations set by governing bodies.