1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrical load power

1. Dec 2, 2011 #1
    Hi all.

This question has been bugging me for a while now so hopefully you can help.

I want to know how an electrical load (such as a motor) maintains its power, like when the voltage drops the current increases.

I know all the formulas ( in this case P = V x I ) but want to know how it works.

At nominal operation the motor is spinning fine and sees a current passing through its terminals. Then there is a voltage drop or dip and so it draws more current.

How does it (know how to) draw more current? A motor requires a current to induce a magnetic field and it (if it had a brain) does not know anything about the source. All it wants is a particular current to produce the magnetic field. Where does the voltage relationship come into this.

I have searched and searched but all I can find is it maintains P = V x I, but not how it does this.

Thanks,

Mark.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2011 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF.

When the input voltage drops to a motor, the output power of the motor drops.

The only common constant-power loads are DC-DC converters. They use switched currents through magnetics to transform an input voltage into an output voltage at the load current. The input current depends inversely on the input voltage, since DC-DC converters are basically "constant power converters".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook