Electric Load Power: How Does It Maintain?

In summary, the question is about how an electrical load, specifically a motor, maintains its power when the input voltage drops. The formula P = V x I is known, but the mechanism behind how the load maintains this power is unclear. The load, in this case a motor, draws more current when there is a voltage drop, but it is unclear how it knows to do so. It is mentioned that a motor requires a current to produce a magnetic field, but it is unclear how the voltage relationship plays into this. The search for an answer has only led to the understanding that the load maintains P = V x I, but not how it does so.
mark g
Hi all.

This question has been bugging me for a while now so hopefully you can help.

I want to know how an electrical load (such as a motor) maintains its power, like when the voltage drops the current increases.

I know all the formulas ( in this case P = V x I ) but want to know how it works.

At nominal operation the motor is spinning fine and sees a current passing through its terminals. Then there is a voltage drop or dip and so it draws more current.

How does it (know how to) draw more current? A motor requires a current to induce a magnetic field and it (if it had a brain) does not know anything about the source. All it wants is a particular current to produce the magnetic field. Where does the voltage relationship come into this.

I have searched and searched but all I can find is it maintains P = V x I, but not how it does this.

Thanks,

Mark.

Physics news on Phys.org
mark g said:
Hi all.

This question has been bugging me for a while now so hopefully you can help.

I want to know how an electrical load (such as a motor) maintains its power, like when the voltage drops the current increases.

I know all the formulas ( in this case P = V x I ) but want to know how it works.

At nominal operation the motor is spinning fine and sees a current passing through its terminals. Then there is a voltage drop or dip and so it draws more current.

How does it (know how to) draw more current? A motor requires a current to induce a magnetic field and it (if it had a brain) does not know anything about the source. All it wants is a particular current to produce the magnetic field. Where does the voltage relationship come into this.

I have searched and searched but all I can find is it maintains P = V x I, but not how it does this.

Thanks,

Mark.

Welcome to the PF.

When the input voltage drops to a motor, the output power of the motor drops.

The only common constant-power loads are DC-DC converters. They use switched currents through magnetics to transform an input voltage into an output voltage at the load current. The input current depends inversely on the input voltage, since DC-DC converters are basically "constant power converters".

1. What is electric load power?

Electric load power refers to the amount of electrical energy being consumed by a device or system. It is measured in watts and is a key factor in determining the amount of electricity needed to power a particular device or system.

2. How is electric load power maintained?

Electric load power is maintained through a combination of factors, including the efficiency of the device or system, the quality of the electrical supply, and the management of power usage. Devices and systems that are designed to be energy-efficient can help reduce the overall electric load power. Additionally, ensuring a stable and reliable electrical supply can also contribute to maintaining electric load power.

3. What are some common causes of changes in electric load power?

Changes in electric load power can be caused by a variety of factors, including fluctuations in voltage or current, changes in the demand for electricity, and malfunctions in devices or systems. Other factors, such as weather conditions and power plant outages, can also affect electric load power.

4. How does electric load power impact energy consumption?

Electric load power is directly related to energy consumption as it represents the amount of energy being used by a device or system. Higher electric load power means higher energy consumption, which can result in increased electricity costs and potential strain on the electrical grid. By managing and reducing electric load power, overall energy consumption can be decreased.

5. How can electric load power be controlled?

Electric load power can be controlled through various methods, such as implementing energy-efficient devices and systems, using smart grid technologies, and practicing energy conservation. It is also important for individuals and businesses to monitor and manage their own power usage to help control electric load power and reduce energy consumption.