Electrical potential problem

In summary: This is not unusual, so your calculations seem to be correct.In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the potential at a point that is 3 meters away from two charges (one 3 meters above and the other 3 meters below). The formula for potential energy is mentioned, along with the value of K, which is used in the calculations. It is noted that the unit of potential is not joules, and that 3μC and 6μC are considered to be large amounts of charge. The expert advises replacing Ep with V in the calculations and confirms that the high voltages obtained are expected due to the large charges and distances involved.
Latsabb
The problem is to find the potential at a point that is 3 meters away from two charges. (one 3 meters above, and the other 3 meters below)

q1=3μC
q2=6μC

I put that Ep=Epq1+Epq2

Epq1=K*q1/r1
Epq2=K*q2/r2

K=1/(4πε0)=8.988x109

This gives me:

Epq1=8.988x109*(3x10-6/3)=8988J

Which immediately set some bells off for me. Isnt that quite a bit of energy for a charge three meters away? By the same formula, Epq2 equals 17976J, for a total potential of 26964J. Maybe I am wrong, but it seems like a very high potential. I will admit that I haven't wrapped my head around how large of charge a Coulomb is, so maybe 3μC and 6μC are very large amounts of charge, but something seems wrong to me...

Can someone take a look, and see if I did something wrong? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, Latsabb.

Note that you are calculating potential, not potential energy. The unit of potential is not J.

A μC is a large amount of charge for a particle. So, a large value of potential in this problem is to be expected.

Likes 1 person
Ok, thank you. Being that I am not calculating potential energy, that would make this... Volts? So I should be replacing my Ep's with V?

Yes. So, you are getting some "high" voltages because your charges are on the order of a few μC and your distances are on the order of a few meters.

I would like to point out that your calculations are correct. The high potential you have calculated is due to the relatively large values of the charges (3μC and 6μC). It is important to note that electrical potential is directly proportional to the amount of charge present, so the higher the charge, the higher the potential will be. In this case, both charges are relatively close to the point of interest (3 meters away), which also contributes to the high potential.

To put things into perspective, a Coulomb (C) is a unit of electric charge equal to approximately 6.24 x 10^18 elementary charges (e). So 3μC and 6μC would correspond to approximately 1.87 x 10^19 e and 3.75 x 10^19 e, respectively. These are indeed large amounts of charge, which is why the potential is also high.

In conclusion, your calculations are correct and the high potential is a result of the relatively large values of the charges involved. It is important to keep in mind that electrical potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge, so a high potential does not necessarily mean a dangerous or harmful situation.

What is an electrical potential problem?

An electrical potential problem refers to a situation where there is a difference in electrical potential between two points in a system. This can lead to the flow of electric current and can be caused by various factors such as the presence of charged particles or the movement of electrons.

How is electrical potential measured?

Electrical potential is measured in units of volts (V) and is typically denoted as V or E. It can be measured using a voltmeter, which is a device that measures the potential difference between two points in a circuit. The higher the potential difference, the greater the voltage.

What factors can affect electrical potential?

There are several factors that can affect electrical potential, including the distance between two points, the amount of charge present, and the material properties of the medium through which the potential is being measured. Temperature and the presence of external electric fields can also affect electrical potential.

What is the difference between electrical potential and electrical potential energy?

Electrical potential is a measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge at a point in a system. In other words, it is the amount of potential energy that a unit charge would have if placed at that point. Electrical potential energy, on the other hand, is the energy that is stored in an electric field due to the presence of charged particles.

How can electrical potential problems be solved?

Electrical potential problems can be solved using a variety of mathematical and computational methods, such as the use of equations like Ohm's law and Kirchhoff's laws. Computer simulations and modeling can also be used to analyze and solve more complex electrical potential problems.