Potential of Charges on a Grid

In summary, due to symmetry, the bottom-left negative charge and the bottom-right positive charge cancel out, leaving me with a triangle around the center. I'm not entirely sure how to solve for potential at the origin specifically, but I believe that the potential energy of a system is equal to the external work needed to assemble it.
ab200
Homework Statement
Five charges are arranged as shown below. Each charge is either +1.5 nC (red) or -1.5 nC (blue). They are spaced by 1 cm intervals (each dotted line is 1 cm long). What is the potential, in V, at the origin?

How much work do you have to do, in electron volts (eV), to move an electron from infinitely far away to the origin?
Relevant Equations
V = kq/r
U = qV
Looking at the image, I see that due to symmetry, the bottom-left negative charge and the bottom-right positive charge cancel out, leaving me with a triangle around the center. I'm not entirely sure how to solve for potential at the origin specifically, but I believe that the potential energy of a system is equal to the external work needed to assemble it.

Thus, U = k [(q1q2 / r12) + (q2q3 / r23) + (q1q3 / r13)]. But I got a very, very small number that doesn't seem right, plus U is in joules, not volts. If I divide by 1.6e-19 to convert to volts, I get an enormous number that doesn't seem right either.

What am I doing wrong in terms of problems setup?

Attachments

• potentials.PNG
    potentials.PNG
    3.9 KB · Views: 41
Physics news on Phys.org
There is a problem with your strategy. The problem is asking you to find the work that you (an external agent) have to do to bring an electron from infinity to the origin. What procedure are you going to follow to find this work? Work is denoted by ##W## but see no relevant equation that involves it. How do you propose to include that? Also, in your equation for U you have q1, q2 and q3. Which one of these is the electron charge?

Likes MatinSAR
ab200 said:
I believe that the potential energy of a system is equal to the external work needed to assemble it.
You are not asked for the potential energy of the system. You are asked for the potential energy of a test charge in the field of the system. I see that same question asked twice. Once as a request for potential and once as a request for work along a trajectory.

If it were me, I'd work on some additional cancellation.

Likes MatinSAR
jbriggs444 said:
You are asked for the potential energy of a test charge in the field of the system.
Actually it's an electron.

kuruman said:
Actually it's an electron.
The same question is asked twice. Once asking for Volts and once asking for electron volts per electron.

kuruman said:
There is a problem with your strategy. The problem is asking you to find the work that you (an external agent) have to do to bring an electron from infinity to the origin. What procedure are you going to follow to find this work? Work is denoted by ##W## but see no relevant equation that involves it. How do you propose to include that? Also, in your equation for U you have q1, q2 and q3. Which one of these is the electron charge?
Yes, in this case work is equal to the change in potential energy. The electron charge for part 2 of the question would be q4, with the relevant U values being U14, U24, and U34.

jbriggs444 said:
You are not asked for the potential energy of the system. You are asked for the potential energy of a test charge in the field of the system. I see that same question asked twice. Once as a request for potential and once as a request for work along a trajectory.

If it were me, I'd work on some additional cancellation.
Yes, I figured this out. I was missing that the first part of the question actually asks for electric potential V rather than potential energy U. The equation for the electric potential of the system (multiple) of point charges is V = V1 + V2 + V3.

You’re right about the second part as well. I, not being the brightest, ended up solving for the potential energy of the system U = U14 + U24 + U34 (where q4 is the new electron charge). Given that U14 = V1 x q4, U24 = V2 x q4, etc. when I converted the final answer for U from joules in the electron volts, I ended up dividing by the value of q4 anyway.

ab200 said:
The equation for the electric potential of the system (multiple) of point charges is V = V1 + V2 + V3.
It’s easier than that!

The total potential at the origin can be thought of as the sum of 3 contributions:

1) from the bottom left and the bottom right charges;
2) from the top left and the bottom middle charges;
3) from the top right charge.

What can you say about 1) and 2)?

Likes MatinSAR
Steve4Physics said:
It’s easier than that!

The total potential at the origin can be thought of as the sum of 3 contributions:

1) from the bottom left and the bottom right charges;
2) from the top left and the bottom middle charges;
3) from the top right charge.

What can you say about 1) and 2)?
I see that in 1), the two charges are symmetric about the y axis. However, in case 2) I’m a little bit confused why they cancel each other out. Yes, they are equal distances from the origin, but does that necessarily mean they cancel out? If the bottom middle and top right charges were switched, I would be totally on board, but maybe I’m still missing something.

ab200 said:
Yes, they are equal distances from the origin, but does that necessarily mean they cancel out?
Yes.

ab200 said:
However, in case 2) I’m a little bit confused why they cancel each other out. Yes, they are equal distances from the origin, but does that necessarily mean they cancel out?
Don't get potentials (scalars) mixed up with electric fields (vectors).

If you were adding fields at a point, the direction (as well as the magnitude) of each individual field would be very important. You would have an exercise in vector addition.

But adding potentials at a point is much simpler – elementary addition. That's one reason why physicists often prefer to use potentials when dealing with fields - it makes the maths much simpler.

Likes ab200, jbriggs444, MatinSAR and 1 other person

1. What is the purpose of using a grid for charges?

The use of a grid allows for the manipulation and control of electric charges in a specific area. This is useful in experiments and studies involving electricity and its effects.

2. How are charges distributed on a grid?

Charges on a grid are typically evenly distributed in a pattern or grid-like structure. This allows for a more uniform and controlled distribution of charges.

3. Can the potential of charges on a grid be changed?

Yes, the potential of charges on a grid can be changed by altering the amount or distribution of charges on the grid. This can be done by adding or removing charges or by changing the distance between them.

4. What factors affect the potential of charges on a grid?

The potential of charges on a grid can be affected by the amount and distribution of charges, the distance between charges, and the type of material used for the grid. Other factors such as external electric fields can also have an impact on the potential of charges on a grid.

5. How is the potential of charges on a grid measured?

The potential of charges on a grid is typically measured using an instrument called a voltmeter. This device measures the electrical potential difference between two points on the grid and can give an accurate reading of the potential of charges on the grid.