Electrical vs Systems Engineering

In summary, the conversation discussed the speaker's dilemma between pursuing a master's degree in Systems or Electrical Engineering at George W. University. They mentioned that they have no interest in being an engineer and plan on getting a PhD in business eventually. They asked for advice on which degree to choose in case the PhD in business does not work out and questioned the job outlook and preference for Systems Engineering vs Electrical Engineering. The conversation also touched on the popularity of Systems Engineering in the defense world and whether it would be advantageous for certain companies. The speaker also received advice to pursue an MBA instead of a PhD in business. The conversation ended with a question to engineers about their thoughts on a master's degree in Systems Engineering on a resume for various job opportunities. In
fizzziks
I'm thinking about doing my masters in either in Systems or Electrical Engineering at the George W. University.

Personally, I have to do a masters for work (it's required). I have no desire to be an engineer anymore, and eventually plan on getting my PhD in business.

Which should I take just in case the PhD in business doesn't work out? I might have to be an engineer or move into management. Does the job outlook/preference differ with EE vs Systems? Also, is "Systems Engineering" kind of vague to employers? Like maybe Microsoft, Intel, etc don't know much about it... I know "Systems Engineering" is popular in the defense world, but I probably won't enter that industry.

Physics news on Phys.org
Systems engineering is vague, but also you'll have an advantage with companies that are looking for it.

If you want to work in business, don't do a PhD, get an MBA instead. A PhD in business won't really help you.

Thanks for the advice.

So, to the other people out there, especially engineers - what would you think if you saw a masters in systems engineering on a resume that needed an electrical or computer engineer for the job? Or perhaps managing large projects, etc?

1) What is the main difference between Electrical Engineering and Systems Engineering?

Electrical engineering focuses on the design, development, and maintenance of electrical systems and components, such as circuits, power systems, and electronic devices. Systems engineering, on the other hand, focuses on the overall design and management of complex systems, including hardware, software, and human aspects.

2) Can an Electrical Engineer work in the field of Systems Engineering?

Yes, an electrical engineer can work in the field of systems engineering. The skills and knowledge gained in electrical engineering, such as problem-solving, critical thinking, and technical expertise, are valuable in the field of systems engineering.

3) Which field has better career prospects: Electrical Engineering or Systems Engineering?

Both fields have strong career prospects, and the choice ultimately depends on individual interests and skills. Electrical engineering offers opportunities in industries such as telecommunications, power generation, and consumer electronics. Systems engineering, on the other hand, is in demand in industries such as aerospace, defense, and healthcare.

4) How do the educational requirements differ for Electrical Engineering and Systems Engineering?

Both fields require a strong foundation in math, physics, and computer science. However, electrical engineering typically focuses more on advanced math and physics courses, while systems engineering places a greater emphasis on computer science and management courses.

5) Is it possible to switch from Electrical Engineering to Systems Engineering or vice versa?

Yes, it is possible to switch between the two fields, as they share many fundamental concepts and skills. However, additional education and training may be necessary to gain expertise in the new field.