Solve Electricity & SHM Homework: Equilibrium Position of Combined Mass

In summary, the conversation discusses a scenario where block B, with a charge of -1C, is released from rest at a distance of 1.8m from block A, which is neutral. The combined mass of the blocks is at equilibrium at x = -5/9m due to the perfectly inelastic collision between the blocks and the equal and opposite forces of the electrostatic and spring forces. The equation 1/2 mv^2 = 1/2 kx^2 - qEx is used to determine x, but the correct equation should be 1/2 mv^2 = 1/2 kx^2 - qE(x) where x is the distance between the blocks.
erisedk

Homework Statement

In the figure mA = mB = 1kg . Block A is neutral while qB = -1C, sizes of A and B are negligible. B is released from rest at a distance 1.8m from A . Initially springs is neither compressed nor elongated.
https://brilliant.org/discussions/thread/amplitude-of-oscillation/
View the figure above.
Equilibrium position of the combined mass is at x = ... m

Note: Collision between A and B is perfectly inelastic.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a= 10m/s (of block B using qE/m)
v = root(2as) = 6m/s
mv = 2mv'
v' = 3m/s (combined velocity of the system)

1/2 mv^2 = 1/2 kx^2 - qEx
9 = 9x^2 - 10x
x = -0.588
The answer is -5/9, which is quite close to my answer but not exactly.
Can someone just tell me if what I've done is right?

Physics news on Phys.org
erisedk said:
1/2 mv^2 = 1/2 kx^2 - qEx
9 = 9x^2 - 10x
x = -0.588
The answer is -5/9, which is quite close to my answer but not exactly.
Can someone just tell me if what I've done is right?
Your equation makes no sense. It is not even dimensionally correct. qE is a force, the other terms are energy.
At equilibrium the electrostatic force must be equal and opposite to the spring force. That gives x = -5/9 exactly.

Likes erisedk
rude man said:
Your equation makes no sense. It is not even dimensionally correct. qE is a force, the other terms are energy.
At equilibrium the electrostatic force must be equal and opposite to the spring force. That gives x = -5/9 exactly.

He put qEx, not qE, which is an attempt to add in a work contribution i. E. Fd.

Although your method seems correct, just didn't want to give him the wrong idea

Brian T said:
He put qEx, not qE, which is an attempt to add in a work contribution i. E. Fd.
OK, I thought he meant E-sub-x. Still doesn't make sense, the equation I mean.
Although your method seems correct, just didn't want to give him the wrong idea
Well, my method has to be correct. May be some other way is too.

Okay thanks, got it!

1. What is the equilibrium position of a combined mass system?

The equilibrium position of a combined mass system is the position at which the net force acting on the system is zero. This means that the system is balanced and not experiencing any acceleration.

2. How do you calculate the equilibrium position of a combined mass system?

The equilibrium position can be calculated by using the principle of superposition, which states that the net force on a system is the sum of all individual forces acting on each mass. By setting the net force equal to zero, we can solve for the equilibrium position.

3. What is the significance of the equilibrium position in electricity and SHM?

In electricity, the equilibrium position represents the point at which there is no current flowing and the system is in a state of balance. In SHM, the equilibrium position is the point of maximum potential energy and is used to determine the amplitude and period of oscillation.

4. How does the equilibrium position change in a combined mass system?

The equilibrium position can change in a combined mass system if there is a change in the forces acting on the system. For example, if an external force is applied, the equilibrium position will shift to a new point where the net force is once again zero.

5. Can the equilibrium position be negative?

Yes, the equilibrium position can be negative. This simply means that the system is displaced in the negative direction from its original position, but the net force is still equal to zero. The sign of the equilibrium position does not affect the calculations or the physical behavior of the system.