Electricity help, calculating the current

In summary, the formula for calculating current is I = V/R, where I is the current in amps, V is the voltage in volts, and R is the resistance in ohms. To calculate the current in a series circuit, you add up the individual resistances and divide the total voltage by the total resistance. The unit of measurement for current is ampere or amp, representing the amount of electric charge passing through a point in a circuit per unit of time. AC (alternating current) flows in both directions and is used for long distance power transmission, while DC (direct current) only flows in one direction and is used in electronic devices. The higher the resistance of a material, the lower the current will be, as resistance limits
ella_101
In a motor vehicle, a relay is used to switch the 12 V , 60 W headlight on and off.

The resistance of the relay coil is 150 ohms . Calculate the current in the relay coil when it is connected to a 12 V supply.

Physics news on Phys.org
On this site it seems people prefer to encourage independent thought rather than just give the solution, but I'm not sure there's much else to say here. The relations relevant at this level are:

[tex]V = IR[/tex]

[tex]P = IV[/tex]

Last edited:

To calculate the current in the relay coil, we can use Ohm's Law which states that current (I) is equal to voltage (V) divided by resistance (R). In this case, we have a voltage of 12 V and a resistance of 150 ohms, so the current can be calculated as follows:

I = V/R
I = 12 V / 150 ohms
I = 0.08 amps

Therefore, the current in the relay coil when it is connected to a 12 V supply is 0.08 amps. This information is important in understanding the power consumption and electrical load of the headlight circuit in a motor vehicle.

What is the formula for calculating current?

The formula for calculating current is I = V/R, where I is the current in amps, V is the voltage in volts, and R is the resistance in ohms.

How do you calculate the current in a series circuit?

To calculate the current in a series circuit, you simply add up the individual resistances and divide the total voltage by the total resistance. This will give you the current flowing through the circuit.

What is the unit of measurement for current?

The unit of measurement for current is ampere, commonly shortened to amp or A. It represents the amount of electric charge passing through a point in a circuit per unit of time.

What is the difference between AC and DC current?

AC (alternating current) flows in both directions, constantly changing its polarity, while DC (direct current) only flows in one direction. AC is used for long distance power transmission, while DC is used in electronic devices.

How does the resistance of a material affect the current?

The higher the resistance of a material, the lower the current will be. This is because resistance limits the flow of electrons, reducing the amount of current that can pass through a circuit.