Electricity Question (Exam in 2 days) Halp

In summary, the table shows the values of potential difference and current at different points in a circuit, and the relationship between them can be calculated using Ohm's law.
tayman

Homework Statement

Potential Difference (V) 1.2 ------ 1.8 ----- 2.2 ----- 3.0 ----- 3.4 ----- 3.7 ----- 4.2 ----- 4.8
Current (mA) ------ 140 ------ 210 ----- 256 ----- 350 ----- 410 ----- 430 ----- 490 ----- 560

Homework Equations

Use correct symbols draw a circuit diagram to show a simple experimental setup the students were likely to have used to have attained the data above.

The Attempt at a Solution

1. Finding the R will be 8.57 Ohm.

I don't understand how you are meant to find the actual voltage and the current in just 1 circuit. I understand that the ohm for all the variables will be 8.57, but don't u need 8 different diagrams to illustrate it? Sorry, electricity isn't a strong topic of mine and would appreciate if someone explains to me what the table is actually saying.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there! It seems like you are trying to understand the relationship between potential difference (V) and current (mA) in a circuit. The table is showing the values of potential difference and current at different points in the circuit. The first column represents the potential difference (V) and the second column represents the current (mA) at that specific point.

To find the resistance (R) in the circuit, you can use Ohm's law: R = V/I. In this case, you can choose any two points in the circuit and use their corresponding values for V and I to calculate the resistance. For example, if you choose the first and last points in the table, you would get:

R = (4.8 V - 1.2 V) / (560 mA - 140 mA) = 8.57 ohm

You do not need 8 different diagrams to illustrate this relationship. The circuit diagram would remain the same, and the only thing that would change is the values for V and I at different points in the circuit.

I hope this helps clarify the table and the relationship between potential difference and current in a circuit. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Hello,

First of all, don't panic! It's great that you are seeking help and trying to understand the material before your exam.

From the table, it seems like the students were measuring the potential difference (V) and the current (mA) at different points in the circuit. The potential difference is measured in volts (V) and represents the amount of energy per unit charge. The current is measured in milliamps (mA) and represents the flow of charge per unit time.

To find the resistance (R) in the circuit, you can use Ohm's law: R = V/I, where V is the potential difference and I is the current. So for each point in the table, you can calculate the resistance by dividing the potential difference by the current. This will give you the resistance at each point in the circuit.

As for drawing a circuit diagram, you can simply draw a single circuit with a battery (representing the potential difference) and a resistor (representing the resistance). The different points in the table correspond to different measurements taken at different points in the circuit.

I hope this helps clarify things for you. Remember to take deep breaths and stay calm during your exam. You got this!

1. What is electricity?

Electricity is the flow of tiny particles called electrons. These electrons move from one atom to another, creating a flow of energy that we can use to power devices and machines.

2. How does electricity work?

Electricity works by creating a circuit, which is a closed loop that allows the flow of electrons. When a circuit is closed, electrons can travel from the power source (such as a battery) through wires and into a device, and then back to the power source.

3. What are the different types of electricity?

The two main types of electricity are AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current). AC is the type of electricity that is used in most homes and buildings, while DC is commonly used in smaller devices such as batteries.

4. What are some safety precautions to take with electricity?

Some safety precautions to take with electricity include always using insulated tools, never touching electrical equipment with wet hands, and making sure to turn off the power before working on any electrical devices.

5. How can I study for an electricity exam in a short amount of time?

To study for an electricity exam in a short amount of time, it is helpful to review key concepts and formulas, practice solving sample problems, and create flashcards for important terms and definitions. It is also important to get enough rest and stay calm during the exam.