Electrodynamics Potential from charged sphere. I am lost :/

In summary, a sphere with a charge of ρ carries a potential V(z) that is a function of the distance z from the center of the sphere. The potential is calculated using the integrals of the Legendre polynomials and the multipole expansion of the potential.
pence
~Electrodynamics~ Potential from charged sphere. I am lost :/

Homework Statement

A sphere of radius R, centered at the origin, carries a charge density ρ(r,θ)=κ/r^2(R-2r)sin^2(θ).
κ is constant. Find exact potential.

Homework Equations

1/4∏ε∫ρ∂t/r

The Attempt at a Solution

Question and attempt via attachments :)
I do not think my solution is correct please help!
Thanks all for looking!

Attachments

• Image 1.png
    Image 1.png
    6 KB · Views: 392
  • Image 5.png
    Image 5.png
    23 KB · Views: 421
Physics news on Phys.org
Shouldn't it be ##\frac{...}{\sqrt{z^2+r^2-2zr\cos\theta}}## instead of ##\frac{...}{\sqrt{R^2+r^2-2Rr\cos\theta}}## ?

as ##\sqrt{(z-r\cos\theta)^2+r^2\sin^2\theta}=\sqrt{z^2+r^2-2rz\cos\theta}## is a distance from the point in the sphere to the point in z-axis

Okay, yeah that makes sense. So the numerator looked good? If possible could you please work it out? I MUST have the integration done correctly! Thank you for responding!

Yes, the numerator is correct, you get:

##V(z)=\frac{K}{4\pi\varepsilon}\int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^R\int_0^\pi\frac{(R-2r)\sin^3\theta}{\sqrt{z^2+r^2-2zr\cos\theta}}\,d\theta drd\varphi##

so try a substitution ##u=z^2+r^2-2zr\cos\theta##

Using maple I got a ridiculous answer (attached)

What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• Image 2.png
    Image 2.png
    9.6 KB · Views: 377
I don't know what is wrong. I calculated it in such a way:

##V(z)=\frac{K}{4\pi\varepsilon}\int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^R\int_0^\pi\frac{(R-2r)\sin^3\theta}{\sqrt{z^2+r^2-2zr\cos\theta}}\,d\theta drd\varphi=\frac{K}{2\varepsilon}\int_0^R\int_0^\pi\frac{(R-2r)(1-\cos^2\theta)\sin\theta}{\sqrt{z^2+r^2-2zr\cos\theta}}\,d\theta dr=(*)\\
z^2+r^2-2zr\cos\theta=u\\
\cos\theta=\frac{r^2+z^2-u}{2zr}\\
\sin\theta\,d\theta=\frac{du}{2zr}\\
(*)=\frac{K}{2\varepsilon}\int_0^R\int_{(z-r)^2}^{(z+r)^2}\frac{(R-2r)\left(1-\left(\frac{r^2+z^2-u}{2zr}\right)^2\right)}{2zr\sqrt{u}}\,dudr=...##

pence said:
Okay, yeah that makes sense. So the numerator looked good? If possible could you please work it out? I MUST have the integration done correctly! Thank you for responding!
That's not how it works here. We don't do the problem for you. That's your job.

pence said:
Using maple I got a ridiculous answer (attached)

What am I doing wrong?
Using Maple for one thing. The point of this problem really is to learn how to do the math.

You should recognize the expression
$$\frac{1}{\sqrt{z^2+r^2-2zr\cos\theta}}.$$ Expand it in terms of Legendre polynomials.

If I had a nickle every time someone says "I plugged it into maple". . .

Also, a table of integrals comes in very handy for EM problems.

One should also say that the correct formula for the potential everywhere is (in SI units)
[tex]V(\vec{x})=\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 \vec{x}' \frac{\rho(\vec{x}')}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 |\vec{x}-\vec{x}'|}.[/tex]
Here, however, I'd rather use the multipole expansion of the potential and solve Poisson's Equation
[tex]\Delta V=-\frac{1}{\epsilon} \rho.[/tex]

1. What is an electrodynamics potential?

An electrodynamics potential is a concept in physics that describes the potential energy associated with electric charges and their interactions with each other. It is an important concept in understanding the behavior of electrically charged particles and fields.

2. How is the electrodynamics potential calculated?

The electrodynamics potential is calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the potential energy between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the distance between them. This can be represented mathematically as V = kQq/r, where V is the potential energy, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q and q are the charges of the particles, and r is the distance between them.

3. What is a charged sphere?

A charged sphere is a spherical object that has a net electric charge. This can be either a positive or negative charge, or a combination of both. A charged sphere can be used to model the behavior of electric fields and potentials in certain situations.

4. How does a charged sphere affect its surrounding electric field?

A charged sphere affects its surrounding electric field by creating a concentration of electric potential around itself. This is due to the distribution of electric charges on the surface of the sphere. The strength of the electric field is directly proportional to the amount of charge on the sphere and inversely proportional to the distance from the sphere.

5. How can I use the concept of electrodynamics potential from a charged sphere in practical applications?

The concept of electrodynamics potential from a charged sphere has many practical applications, such as in designing electrical circuits, understanding the behavior of charged particles in accelerators, and in the development of electronic devices. It is also used in various areas of research, including plasma physics, astrophysics, and materials science.