Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnet construction and off-axis field calculation with iron core

1. Jul 2, 2012 #1
    Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has any sources for off-axis point calculation for multiple current carrying loops that contain a soft iron core.

I have been using this resource so far and I can figure out how to include multiple loops. How would I approach these calculations with an iron core inside of the loop?

EDIT: the resource is http://www.netdenizen.com/emagnet/offaxis/iloopoffaxis.htm

In the off-axis calculation it uses the original B which would be inside of 1 loop of wire. So I'm wondering if adding an iron core to the center would be the equivalent to multiplying the entire equation by the permeability constant?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2012 #2

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is the core cylindrical? If so, and if your coil has enough turns, it will magnetize the core and the field outside will resemble that from a cylindrical bar magnet.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook