Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnet Core Material

1. Mar 22, 2007 #1
    I realize that soft iron is the most common material for this but I am wondering if there is something that will increase the magnetic strength.
    Here is what I have.
    Two electromagnetic coils in series connected by a yoke with a capacitor in parallel (for spark reduction). Cores are soft iron 3/8" or 5/16" x 1 1/4". The magnets move an armature bar that switches the circuit on/off 80-160 Hz.

I'm am looking for a material that will create a stronger magnetic field without having to increase voltage (3-9 volts DC < 1amp) .

What would the most efficient materials be that are available in those dimensions if one were willing to spend more $.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2007 #2
    Are you asking this to improve the magnetic strength of the electromagnetic cores of a tattoo machine?
  4. Nov 26, 2007 #3

Science Advisor

Have you tried contacting any solenoid manufacturers to see if anything is commercially available?
  5. Nov 26, 2007 #4

Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?