1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnet Core Material

1. Mar 22, 2007 #1
    I realize that soft iron is the most common material for this but I am wondering if there is something that will increase the magnetic strength.
    Here is what I have.
    Two electromagnetic coils in series connected by a yoke with a capacitor in parallel (for spark reduction). Cores are soft iron 3/8" or 5/16" x 1 1/4". The magnets move an armature bar that switches the circuit on/off 80-160 Hz.

I'm am looking for a material that will create a stronger magnetic field without having to increase voltage (3-9 volts DC < 1amp) .

What would the most efficient materials be that are available in those dimensions if one were willing to spend more $.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2007 #2
    Are you asking this to improve the magnetic strength of the electromagnetic cores of a tattoo machine?

4. Nov 26, 2007 #3

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Have you tried contacting any solenoid manufacturers to see if anything is commercially available?

5. Nov 26, 2007 #4

stewartcs

Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?