Electromagnet Winding: 1200 Winds or 600 Winds?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of different sizes of magnet wire in creating high voltage electromagnets. The individual inquiring is wondering if using 1200 winds of awg30 magnet wire would have the same power as 600 winds of awg15 magnet wire. The response explains that the 15 awg wire is 32 times less resistive than the 30 awg, but since it will be half the length, it would be 1/64 as resistive. This means that for the same voltage applied, the 15 awg wire will draw 64 times as much current and produce a 32 times larger magnetic field. Additionally, a table of wire diameters for different awg's is suggested for
magnetic-man
Hey, anybody out there good with electrical stuff??
I'm no genius but can I be correct in assuming the following?
Im making high voltage electromagnets.
If I use 1200 winds of awg30 magnet wire, it will have the same power ~ (EMF) Or (magnetic field strenghth) as 600 winds of awg15 magnet wire. Am I correct in assuming this or No? The power source is the same, and voltage too for both cases.

Physics news on Phys.org
No.

15 awg wire is 5.7 times larger in diameter than 30 awg, and 32 times larger in cross-sectional area. That means the 15 awg is 32 times less resistive than the same length of 30 awg. But since your 15 awg wire will be half the length of the 30 awg, it would be 1/64 as resistive.

So, for the same voltage applied to both wires, the 15 awg will draw 64 times as much current. With half as many windings, expect a 32 times larger magnetic field for the 15 awg.

A table of wire diameters for different awg's can be found about 1/2-way down this page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_wire_gauge

p.s. if you want to make a powerful electromagnet, try to make it high current rather than high voltage.

Hello there,

I can provide some insight into your question about electromagnet winding. The number of winds in an electromagnet coil does play a role in its strength, but it is not the only factor. The strength of an electromagnet also depends on the current flowing through the coil, the type of core material, and the frequency of the current.

In general, using a larger gauge wire (such as awg15) will result in a stronger electromagnet than using a smaller gauge wire (such as awg30), even with the same number of winds. This is because larger gauge wire has a lower resistance and can handle more current, resulting in a stronger magnetic field.

However, there is a trade-off when using larger gauge wire. It may require a higher voltage to achieve the same current as using smaller gauge wire, which could be a consideration for your power source.

In summary, the number of winds is important but not the only factor in determining the strength of an electromagnet. I would recommend experimenting with different wire gauges and number of winds to find the optimal combination for your specific application. I hope this helps!

What is an electromagnet winding?

An electromagnet winding is a wire coil that creates a magnetic field when an electric current passes through it. It is commonly used in various electronic devices and equipment.

What does the number of winds refer to in an electromagnet winding?

The number of winds refers to the number of times the wire is wrapped around the core of the electromagnet. This determines the strength and intensity of the magnetic field produced.

What is the difference between 1200 winds and 600 winds in an electromagnet winding?

The difference lies in the number of times the wire is wrapped around the core. 1200 winds will produce a stronger magnetic field compared to 600 winds, resulting in a more powerful electromagnet.

Which one is better, 1200 winds or 600 winds?

It depends on the purpose and application of the electromagnet. 1200 winds will provide more strength and power, while 600 winds will be more efficient and require less energy. It is important to choose the appropriate number of winds based on the specific needs of the electromagnet.

Can the number of winds be changed in an electromagnet winding?

Yes, the number of winds can be changed by adding or removing wire coils from the core. This can be done to adjust the strength of the magnetic field or to meet the requirements of a particular application.