1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetic induction and conductor

1. Sep 16, 2013 #1
    Hello everyone,

One very basic thing about this phenomenon is not very clear to me. If a conductor moves in a region of uniform magnetic field, would it have an EMF induced across it? I'm confused because as per Faraday's law, a change in flux through the conductor is necessary for EMF to be induced in it but if the flux is everywhere the same in the region where the conductor is moving, there should be no change in flux through it and consequently, no EMF in it.

How much wrong am I?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

If it has a component perpendicular to both motion and magnetic field, yes.

Think of an imaginary loop, with the moving conductor and some stationary part, completing the loop (and some hand-waving to maintain the connection). The flux through this loop will change.

4. Sep 16, 2013 #3
    Remember the F=qvB sin (theta) formula... The electrons in the wire will be pushed by the m field resulting in current flowing the opposite direction... As mfb said,there only has to a component of the m field perpendicular to the velocity...

5. Sep 17, 2013 #4
    I see.

Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook