Can Electromagnets Achieve High Holding Force with 30cm Separation?

In summary, the speaker is investigating the use of 2 oppositely polarized magnets to locate 2 moving bodies in a specific position. They are proposing to use magnets with a high holding force of ~350kg, but the force decreases quickly as the distance between the magnets increases. They are concerned about the feasibility of using electromagnets to achieve a distance of 30cm between the magnets. They also express doubts about the power consumption of these magnets.
boileroo
Hi,

I am investigating the possibility of using 2 oppositely polarised electromagnetics to locate 2 moving bodies into the correct position as they move towards each other and would appreciate some thoughts on the feasibility of the solution and ways it might be improved.

I am proposing using magnets such as these: http://www.eclipsemagnetics.com/media/wysiwyg/datasheets/magnet_materials_and_assemblies/energise_hold_100mm_datasheet.pdf

They seem to have a high holding force of ~350kg (side question: if I have 2 opposing magnets, will the holding force be ~700kg?), but the force very quickly drops off as distance increases. Ideally, I would like the magnets to be drawn together when they are within approx. 30cm of each other. Is it feasible to expect electromagnets to achieve this (either these magnets or another alternative)?Building my own magnets is not an option; they must be available off the shelf. I know that electromagnets have excellent holding capability when there is no air gap, so I am sceptical whether or not this is possible.

One of my concerns originally was the power consumption of such powerful magnets, yet these magnets only draw ~1.8A. Is this expected? I was expecting a magnet capable of holding 350kg would draw vastly more current than this, but that could be my lack of understanding talking...

Many thanks for the help

Engineering news on Phys.org
The magnetic pull reduces as a factor of the square of the separation; so the attractive force of these magnets will be almost undetectable with 300 mm separation.

1. What is electromagnetic pull force?

Electromagnetic pull force is the force that exists between two objects due to their electric charges. It is a type of electromagnetic force that results from the interaction of electrically charged particles.

2. How is electromagnetic pull force different from gravity?

Electromagnetic pull force is a force that is caused by the interaction of electrically charged particles, while gravity is a force that exists between any two objects with mass. Electromagnetic pull force is much stronger than gravity, but it only acts on objects with electric charges.

3. What factors affect the strength of electromagnetic pull force?

The strength of electromagnetic pull force is affected by the distance between the two objects, the magnitude of their electric charges, and the type of material they are made of. The force is stronger when the objects are closer together, have larger charges, and are made of materials that are conducive to electricity.

4. How is electromagnetic pull force used in everyday life?

Electromagnetic pull force is used in many everyday devices and technologies, such as magnets, electric motors, generators, and speakers. It is also used in medical imaging technologies like MRI machines and in transportation systems like maglev trains.

5. How is electromagnetic pull force studied and measured?

Electromagnetic pull force can be studied and measured through experiments and mathematical equations. The force can be measured using tools like a force sensor or a spring scale. It can also be calculated using Coulomb's law, which relates the force between two charged objects to their charges and the distance between them.