Can I Use an Electromagnet to Repel Aluminum?

In summary: Sorry, I'm kind of new to this. So, if I wanted to create eddy currents, how would I adjust my model to use an ac power source?For safety's sake I suggest a step-down transformer 115V to maybe 26V (a common type), then you need a resistor in series with your coil to keep the current manageable. Idea is not to overload the transformer.
Yummy Yum

Homework Statement

I have made an electromagnet using the primary core of a microwave oven transformer and a 1.5 D cell battery.

I would like to use the electromagnet to repel an aluminum bar (1 in. dia., 3 in. in length, and 1/4 in. thick; it is shown in the picture)

For some reason, the electromagnet only attracts to ferrous metals, but does not repel non ferrous metals (like the aluminum bar). According to my research, some non ferrous metals will not be repelled by electromagnets, but aluminum should definitely be repelled.

I've attached a picture of my electromagnet

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've done everything I can think of to try and make the electromagnet repel the aluminum bar. I've tried switching the wires from positive to negative and vise versa, changing the battery size, and changing the thrust direction.

What can I do to make my electromagnet repel this aluminum bar?

Thanks

Attachments

• diagram.png
    diagram.png
    125.7 KB · Views: 1,029
Physics news on Phys.org
Yummy Yum said:

Homework Statement

I have made an electromagnet using the primary core of a microwave oven transformer and a 1.5 D cell battery.

I would like to use the electromagnet to repel an aluminum bar (1 in. dia., 3 in. in length, and 1/4 in. thick; it is shown in the picture)

For some reason, the electromagnet only attracts to ferrous metals, but does not repel non ferrous metals (like the aluminum bar). According to my research, some non ferrous metals will not be repelled by electromagnets, but aluminum should definitely be repelled.

I've attached a picture of my electromagnet

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've done everything I can think of to try and make the electromagnet repel the aluminum bar. I've tried switching the wires from positive to negative and vise versa, changing the battery size, and changing the thrust direction.

What can I do to make my electromagnet repel this aluminum bar?

Thanks
Aluminum is paramagnetic, so it has a slight attraction to magnetic fields.

SammyS said:
Aluminum is paramagnetic, so it has a slight attraction to magnetic fields.
But, shouldn't non ferrous metals like aluminum and copper be repelled due to Eddy currents?

Yummy Yum said:
But, shouldn't non ferrous metals like aluminum and copper be repelled due to Eddy currents?
You don 't get eddy currents with a dc magnetic field.
As for when you thrust, that force is probably too weak and of too short duration to move the metal.

rude man said:
You don 't get eddy currents with a dc magnetic field.
As for when you thrust, that force is probably too weak and of too short duration to move the metal.
Sorry, I'm kind of new to this. So, if I wanted to create eddy currents, how would I adjust my model to use an ac power source?

For safety's sake I suggest a step-down transformer 115V to maybe 26V (a common type), then you need a resistor in series with your coil to keep the current manageable. Idea is not to overload the transformer.

1. What is electromagnetic repulsion?

Electromagnetic repulsion is a fundamental force of nature that occurs between two charged particles. It causes them to push away from each other, similar to how magnets repel when their poles are facing each other.

2. How does electromagnetic repulsion work?

Electromagnetic repulsion occurs due to the interaction of electric charges. According to Coulomb's law, particles with the same charge will repel each other, while particles with opposite charges will attract. This repulsion is caused by the exchange of virtual particles called photons.

3. What are some examples of electromagnetic repulsion?

Electromagnetic repulsion is present in many everyday phenomena, such as when you try to push two magnets together with the same pole facing each other, or when you try to force two positively charged balloons together. It is also responsible for the stability of atoms and molecules, as the repulsion between electrons prevents them from collapsing into the nucleus.

4. How does electromagnetic repulsion affect the behavior of matter?

Electromagnetic repulsion plays a crucial role in determining the structure and properties of matter. It is responsible for the stability of matter at a macroscopic level, as it prevents objects from collapsing due to the repulsion between their atoms. At a microscopic level, it determines the behavior of particles and their interactions with each other.

5. Can electromagnetic repulsion be overcome?

Electromagnetic repulsion can be overcome by other forces, such as the strong nuclear force, which holds the nucleus of an atom together. In particle accelerators, scientists can also overcome electromagnetic repulsion by accelerating particles to extremely high speeds, allowing them to collide and interact with each other despite their repulsion.