1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetics Essay Topic Ideas

1. Oct 24, 2014 #1
    Hi Everyone,

I need to write an essay for my electromagnetism class and i was wondering if anyone has good topic ideas.
    My criteria is that it needs to be 10 pages and I would like something that is interesting for me to research and write about. I was thinking so far of magnetic levitation trains, but I wanted to see if anyone thinks this is a good idea or has anything else they think is interesting.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2014 #2
    How about Synchrotron radiation?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synchrotron_radiation

There is easily enough to fill 10 pages. The fundamentals are fairly easy (transverse acceleration of free charges at relativistic speeds). There are thousands of applications, and many synchrotrons have been purpose-built just to create this radiation.

4. Oct 25, 2014 #3
    Thanks for the idea it seems pretty interesting and there's definitely information on it. I think my professor would like if I wrote about it. Any particular reason that you thought of this topic just wondering?

5. Oct 26, 2014 #4
    I work at a synchrotron as a "end user" of synchrotron radiation.

Most of electrodynamics is horribly abstract. SR is a real life application of all this, and still a bit off the main stream. That is why I thought it could be interesting.

Synchrotrons are a growing field, and there are jobs for people that optimize and build the source devices like undulators.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook