1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetism Book

1. Feb 20, 2008 #1
    Could someone please recommend a book for 2nd year Electromagnetism? The topics to be covered are:
    Code (Text):
    Vector calculus (div, grad, curl), electrostatics, special techniques for potentials, electric fields in matter, magnetostatics, Magnetic fields in matter, current, Ohm's law, circuits, electromagnetic induction, electrodynamics, Maxwell's equations.
    at a 2nd year level.
    See, the problem is, the prescribed book for the course is D.J.Griffiths Introduction to Electrodynamics 3rd Ed.
    http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1203522480&sr=8-1

Which is $123.00 + shipping! There's no way in hell I can afford that- I get less than that a year!
    Any recommendations?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2008 #2

Vid

4. Feb 20, 2008 #3
  5. Feb 20, 2008 #4

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

6. Feb 21, 2008 #5
    Problem with 2nd hand books ordered from the web could be the quality of the book. Actually I dont know- I've never ordered a 2nd hand book- but I guess that would be the case.

Thank-you very much guys, you've been a great help :D

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  7. Feb 21, 2008 #6

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I have got very good quality used books, and they are cheap :-)

Good luck with your course!

8. Feb 21, 2008 #7
    Thanks a lot malawi glenn.

9. Feb 22, 2008 #8
    i'm not sure which country you come from, but if you're in some south-east asian country, you get these books unbelievably cheap... costs you about 3-4 american dollars... actually, there is a tie-up between the actual publishing company and some local publishing companies, and these are referred to as "low price editions" or LPEs...

10. Feb 22, 2008 #9

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

He is from:

:wink:

11. Feb 22, 2008 #10
    Sounds extraordinarily interesting. Can you tell me more? And yes, I am from South Africa :biggrin:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  12. Feb 23, 2008 #11
    there's hardly anything more to it... these are called low price editions... for example, mc graw hill becomes tata mc graw hill... there are loads of books of wiley, pearson education, mc graw hill, elsevier... one gets griffiths, goldstein, arfken, reif, berkeley course, zemansky, gasiorowicz and almost every other book extraordinarily cheap, but these books are for sale only in the indian subcontinent and in indonesia and countries like burma, vietnam... i don't think south africa is in the list... sorry!!

13. Feb 23, 2008 #12

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

http://www.alibris.com/

this place sometimes have those book from india etc, but it maybe take some time to get them...

14. Feb 24, 2008 #13
    Thanks a lot guys, you've been extremely helpful!:smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?