How to Measure and Create Capacitors with Basic Materials?

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking suggestions on how to use a cardboard box containing a battery, digital voltmeter, digital ammeter, industrial capacitor, copper plates, and copper wire to perform two experimental tasks - measuring the capacitance of the industrial capacitor and constructing a second capacitor with the same capacitance. The person also asks for clarification on whether a resistor is needed in the circuit and if the capacitor can be connected directly to the battery.
tsang
Hi everyone, I'm trying to solve this prac design, but still don't know what to do, can anyone please give me some suggestions?

You are given an old cardboard box from Faraday’s, the bargain supermarket for electrical enthusiasts (“Everyday Low Charges”). The box contains

a battery,

a digital voltmeter (which records voltage as a function of time),

a digital ammeter (which records current as a function of time),

an industrial capacitor,

two copper plates,

and several bits of copper wire.

How to use these humble materials to perform the following experimental tasks:
(a) measure the capacitance of the industrial capacitor; and
(b) construct a second capacitor from the copper plates, whose capacitance equals that of the industrial capacitor.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone please give me some suggestions? Thanks a lot.

Do I have to do something like connecting circuit for short period to charge capacitor, then let it discharge or something like that?
Can I connect capacitor straight to battary without resistor in the series circuit?

1. What is the purpose of an electromagnetism prac design?

The purpose of an electromagnetism prac design is to investigate and understand the principles of electromagnetism, which is the study of the relationship between electricity and magnetism. This design allows for hands-on experimentation and observation of electromagnetic phenomena.

2. How do you design an electromagnetism prac?

To design an electromagnetism prac, you will need to first determine the specific topic or principle you want to investigate. Then, you will need to gather the necessary materials, such as wires, batteries, and magnets. Next, you will need to plan out the procedure for your experiment and ensure safety precautions are in place. Finally, you can conduct the experiment and analyze the results.

3. What are some common materials used in an electromagnetism prac design?

Common materials used in an electromagnetism prac design include copper wires, batteries, magnets, iron filings, and various electrical components such as resistors and capacitors. Other materials such as paper clips, nails, and aluminum foil may also be used for certain experiments.

4. How does an electromagnet work?

An electromagnet works by using electricity to create a magnetic field. When an electric current flows through a wire, it creates a magnetic field around the wire. By coiling the wire, the magnetic field becomes stronger. This electromagnetism can be used to attract or repel other magnets, or to create motion in objects, such as in motors.

5. What are some real-world applications of electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism has many real-world applications, including generators and motors, which are used in power plants and various devices. Electromagnets are also used in speakers, MRI machines, and particle accelerators. Electromagnetic waves, such as radio waves, are used for communication, and electromagnets are also used in everyday items like doorbells and credit cards.