1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetism problem-ΣE on a point

1. Mar 27, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi. I need help with the problem attached. I need to find the ΣE of the point and the direction angle... All information needed are on the attachment...

2. Relevant equations[

3. The attempt at a solution
    There is no attempt since the teacher said nothing relevant.... :(

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

If the teacher hasn't stated anything relevant, then there's always the textbook :smile:

What formulas have you learned regarding electric charges?

4. Mar 27, 2012 #3
    the only thin i found is: E=(k*|q|)/r*r
    where k=9*10^9
    Any idea?

5. Mar 27, 2012 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

That is an expression that gives you the magnitude of the electric field due to a point charge (q) at some distance r. It's useful, and is almost right for what you need here.

A closely related expression gives the force that acts between two charges separated by distance r. Multiply the field that the above expression gives you by a second charge, say Q, and you get the force that each charge exerts on the other.

At this point I would suggest that you check your text or even investigate on the web the concept of "the force between electric charges". You will also need to learn about force vectors and the addition of vectors. These are some basic concepts there that you will need in order to solve this problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook