Electromechanical considerations

• Thread starter Pythagorean
  • Start date
In summary: You should be able to get several hundred (200-300) watts out of it. The simplest load(s) would be 120V incandescent lamps with a 100-watt rating. It would be useful to know how much RPM is required to get 90 volts into an incandescent lamp. A better dynamic load would be several parallel NPN bipolar transistors or N-channel FETs (on good heat sinks) connected to the incandescent lamps. This way you could adjust the load setting with a knob.
Pythagorean
Gold Member
(please skip straight to the question if you don't want to read the setup)

Backstory:
I'm playing with a motor, both as a motor and a generator. It's from a treadmill, 90 V, 6 Amp.

Observation:
I hook the motor up to a power supply. Apparently it's an independent power supply, because I have little control over the current (it seems to me like I can set the maximum current, but in order to keep the voltage constant, the current changes).

If I put resistance on the rotor, the current goes up. To accelerate the rotor, the current goes up (like when you first turn it on, to overcome the inertia.

I've since refreshed myself on the dependencies between angular velocity, torque, current, and voltage.

Question:
I rigged the motor up as a generator (it worked, so it must not be induction) and power a small light bulb, using bicycle pedals, but it's too easy to spin the rotor, so I'm all velocity and no torque.

If I put a bigger load than a light on the motor, will it put back resistance on the rotor so that I have to apply more torque to get it going?

And, as my intuition suggests, will this supply more current (i.e. my power will more in torque than in angular velocity)?

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you want more power just increase the angular velocity of the generator by gearing it differently. Use a high gear ratio.

JCOX said:
If you want more power just increase the angular velocity of the generator by gearing it differently. Use a high gear ratio.

I framed the question under constant power. It's the velocity and torque that would be changing for the same power.

ok ... sorry i don't know if i get what you are saying but the way i see it you want the same power output and different tourqe applied on the pedals right?

JCOX said:
ok ... sorry i don't know if i get what you are saying but the way i see it you want the same power output and different tourqe applied on the pedals right?

yeah.

My inevitable question will be, "how would I make a break that breaks from the electrical side (i.e., by braking, I generate power)" but I'm building up to that.

Oh cool...well i don't know much about generators but i don't think that applying more electrical load to the motor will effect the tourque required to turn the motor at all. I mean when you turn the motor by hand and then apply more load ... does it get harder to turn? I don't think it would.

Pythagorean said:
yeah.

My inevitable question will be, "how would I make a break that breaks from the electrical side (i.e., by braking, I generate power)" but I'm building up to that.

What you are describing is called dynamic braking. You basically dump the electrical energy into a resistor bank which causes what ever mechanical device you are using to slow down. Most motor/generator books will have a section on dynamic braking.

CS

The motor is a dc brush motor with a permanent magnet stator. To operate the motor as a generator/dynamic load just connect various resistances. I will guess that the optimum RPM is 2000 to 3000 RPM. You shouldn't exceed 6 A load current, or you will exceed the current rating of the brushes and rotor coils. You should be able to get several hundred (200-300) watts out of it. The simplest load(s) would be 120V incandescent lamps with a 100-watt rating. It would be useful to know how much RPM is required to get 90 volts into an incandescent lamp. A better dynamic load would be several parallel NPN bipolar transistors or N-channel FETs (on good heat sinks) connected to the incandescent lamps. This way you could adjust the load setting with a knob.

stewartcs said:
What you are describing is called dynamic braking. You basically dump the electrical energy into a resistor bank which causes what ever mechanical device you are using to slow down. Most motor/generator books will have a section on dynamic braking.

CS

Excellent. Thank you. A lot can be done knowing a term (i.e. "dynamic breaking"), makes research a lot easier! The mechanical device will be human legs, but currently it's too easy to turn, so you don't get the full power out of your legs you could if (I assume) a bigger load is put on the generator and more torque is actually required. Your legs have a top speed they can go regardless of torque, so after a certain point you can only get more power from torque.

Bob S said:
The motor is a dc brush motor with a permanent magnet stator. To operate the motor as a generator/dynamic load just connect various resistances. I will guess that the optimum RPM is 2000 to 3000 RPM. You shouldn't exceed 6 A load current, or you will exceed the current rating of the brushes and rotor coils. You should be able to get several hundred (200-300) watts out of it. The simplest load(s) would be 120V incandescent lamps with a 100-watt rating. It would be useful to know how much RPM is required to get 90 volts into an incandescent lamp. A better dynamic load would be several parallel NPN bipolar transistors or N-channel FETs (on good heat sinks) connected to the incandescent lamps. This way you could adjust the load setting with a knob.

Yeah, I've thought about designing a control for it, I just wanted to make sure my theoretical understanding was sound. Thank you for your input!

Related to Electromechanical considerations

What is the difference between electromechanical systems and purely mechanical systems?

Electromechanical systems involve the integration of electrical and mechanical components, while purely mechanical systems only use mechanical components. This means that electromechanical systems can have additional capabilities, such as sensing and control, that purely mechanical systems do not have.

How do electromechanical systems convert between electrical and mechanical energy?

Electromechanical systems use devices such as motors, generators, and actuators to convert between electrical and mechanical energy. Motors convert electrical energy into mechanical motion, while generators convert mechanical motion into electrical energy. Actuators use electrical energy to move mechanical components.

What are some common applications of electromechanical systems?

Electromechanical systems are used in a wide range of applications, such as industrial automation, robotics, medical devices, and consumer electronics. They are also commonly used in transportation systems, such as cars, trains, and airplanes.

What are some important design considerations for electromechanical systems?

When designing electromechanical systems, it is important to consider factors such as power requirements, heat dissipation, mechanical stresses, and electromagnetic interference. The integration of electrical and mechanical components also requires careful consideration to ensure compatibility and optimal performance.

What are some common challenges in maintaining electromechanical systems?

Electromechanical systems can be susceptible to wear and tear, as well as environmental factors such as moisture, dust, and temperature changes. This can lead to malfunctions and failures over time. Regular maintenance and monitoring are important to ensure the longevity and reliability of electromechanical systems.