Electron Attenuation in Matter

In summary, the speaker is looking for a chart or table with electron attenuation lengths or cross-sections in matter. They have searched extensively on the internet but have not been able to find anything. They are asking if anyone has a handbook or other source with this information and mention the possibility of using the Bethe Bloch equation or CRC for calculating the velocity damping or energy loss. The speaker also asks for clarification on whether the values are dependent on initial electron energy.
Mushonti
Hi everybody,
I was wondering if somebody could help me find a chart or a table with electron attenuation lenghts or cross-sections in matter. I've searched the Internet inside-out but even if I would find something, it would be articles that you have to pay for :cry:. Still it seems a normal and trivial information to find somewhere. So if somebody has a handbook or something with that information - please let me know. Thanks a lot.
Mike.

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps you need the bethe bloch equation?
Not sure how useful it is for electrons.
i don't know if its still used but as i recall it allows you to adjust certain constants that are typical of the soild you are using and calculate the the velocity damping. (or at least the energy loss as a function of distance) You could maybe use it to calculate something yourself.
Or do you need much data or already publsihed results to compare to?

Is the CRC a possibility?

Mushonti said:
Hi everybody,
I was wondering if somebody could help me find a chart or a table with electron attenuation lenghts or cross-sections in matter. I've searched the Internet inside-out but even if I would find something, it would be articles that you have to pay for :cry:. Still it seems a normal and trivial information to find somewhere. So if somebody has a handbook or something with that information - please let me know. Thanks a lot.
Mike.

I don't quite understand what it is that you're looking for. Are you looking for (1) the elastic mean free path, and/or (2) the inelastic mean free path of electrons moving in various solids? If you are, then you do know that in many cases, these values are dependent on the initial energy of the electrons, don't you?

Zz.

1. What is electron attenuation in matter?

Electron attenuation in matter refers to the process in which electrons lose energy as they pass through a material. This can occur through interactions with the atomic nuclei or electrons in the material.

2. Why is electron attenuation important?

Electron attenuation is important in various fields, such as medical imaging, radiation therapy, and materials science. It helps us understand how electrons interact with different materials and how they can be used for various applications.

3. How does the density of a material affect electron attenuation?

The density of a material is a crucial factor in electron attenuation. As the density of a material increases, the chances of electron interactions also increase, leading to greater energy loss and attenuation.

4. What factors can affect the attenuation of electrons in matter?

The attenuation of electrons can be affected by factors such as the atomic number of the material, the energy of the electrons, and the thickness of the material. Additionally, the type of material and its density can also impact electron attenuation.

5. How do we measure electron attenuation in matter?

Electron attenuation can be measured using various techniques, such as transmission electron microscopy, electron spectroscopy, and electron energy loss spectroscopy. These methods involve passing electrons through a material and measuring the energy loss to determine the attenuation.