Electron energy state problem

• Thread starter sss1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diagram
sss1
Homework Statement
Can someone check whether I've done the problems in the pictures properly? not sure if i've done them correctly.
Relevant Equations
n^2h^2/8(m_e)a^2
Screen Shot 2023-10-09 at 22.18.32.png
Screen Shot 2023-10-09 at 22.19.23.png
Screen Shot 2023-10-09 at 22.19.28.png

For the problem with the diagram, I'm getting from n=4 to n=2, n=5 to n=4, n=5 to n=1 and n=4 to n=1. n=4 to n=2 corresponds to n=1 to n=2 in well C; n=5 to n=4 corresponds to n=1 to n=2 in well D; n=5 to n=1 corresponds to n=1 to n=3 in well D and n=4 to n=1 corresponds to n=1 to n=2 in well E.
For the second problem, since the node separation is given by L/n where n is the state, and given that there is no nodes between 60pm and 80pm, i worked out that n=10. So the difference in energy is (10^2-9^2)h^2/(8(m_e)(300pm))?

Physics news on Phys.org
sss1 said:
For the problem with the diagram, I'm getting from n=4 to n=2, n=5 to n=4, n=5 to n=1 and n=4 to n=1. n=4 to n=2 corresponds to n=1 to n=2 in well C; n=5 to n=4 corresponds to n=1 to n=2 in well D; n=5 to n=1 corresponds to n=1 to n=3 in well D and n=4 to n=1 corresponds to n=1 to n=2 in well E.
For the second problem, since the node separation is given by L/n where n is the state, and given that there is no nodes between 60pm and 80pm, i worked out that n=10. So the difference in energy is (10^2-9^2)h^2/(8(m_e)(300pm))?
That appears correct, except the denominator in the energy at the end.

DrClaude said:
That appears correct, except the denominator in the energy at the end.
Needs squaring?

sss1 said:
Needs squaring?
Yes, and why 300 pm?

DrClaude said:
Yes, and why 300 pm?
Oh right, misread it. 200pm?

sss1 said:
Oh right, misread it. 200pm?
Yes

1. What is the "electron energy state problem"?

The electron energy state problem, also known as the "quantum mechanical problem of the hydrogen atom", is a fundamental issue in quantum mechanics that deals with the behavior and energy levels of electrons in an atom.

2. Why is the electron energy state problem important?

The electron energy state problem is important because it helps us understand the behavior of electrons in atoms, which is crucial in understanding various chemical and physical processes. It also plays a significant role in the development of technologies such as lasers and semiconductors.

3. How is the electron energy state problem solved?

The electron energy state problem is solved using mathematical equations and principles from quantum mechanics, such as the Schrödinger equation and the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. These equations help us determine the possible energy levels and locations of electrons in an atom.

4. What factors affect the electron energy state?

There are several factors that can affect the electron energy state, including the atomic number, the number of protons and neutrons in the nucleus, and the presence of external forces such as an electric field. These factors can change the energy levels and locations of electrons in an atom.

5. How does the electron energy state problem relate to the periodic table?

The electron energy state problem is closely related to the periodic table as it helps us understand the arrangement of elements and their properties. The number of electrons in an atom's outermost energy level determines its position in the periodic table and its chemical behavior.