Electron Force Between Parallel Plates

In summary, an electron enters the lower left side of a parallel plate capacitor and exists precisely at the upper right side (just clearing the the upper plate). The electric field is uniform at every point between the plates and finds its magnitude to be 2.09x105 N/C.
ToffeeCake

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/6328/physics2.jpg
An electron enters the lower left side of a parallel plate capacitor and exists precisely at the upper right side (just clearing the the upper plate). The initial velocity of the electron is 7x10^6 m/s parallel to the plates (see diagram). The capacitor is 2 cm long and its plates are separated by 0.150 m. Assume the electric field is uniform at every point between the plates and find its magnitude.

The correct answer is supposed to be 2.09x10^5 N/C.

Homework Equations

Electric Force Equation

The Attempt at a Solution

Since E= F/q, I attempted to find F by stating F=ma. To find acceleration, I said v=d/t thus t=d/v. Then a=v/t. I plugged this "a" into F=ma and used the mass of an electron to calculate force and then divided by the electron's charge, but I didn't get the right answer. Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello ToffeeCake,

Welcome to Physics Forums!
ToffeeCake said:
Since E= F/q, I attempted to find F by stating F=ma. To find acceleration, I said v=d/t thus t=d/v. Then a=v/t. I plugged this "a" into F=ma and used the mass of an electron to calculate force and then divided by the electron's charge, but I didn't get the right answer. Any suggestions?
I just worked the problem and got 2.09 x 105 N/C.

I find it very odd that the capacitors plates are 2 cm wide, yet separated by a distance of 15 cm. That makes the approximation of the "electric field is uniform at every point between the plates" rather unrealistic.

But whatever the case, working out the problem as it is stated (and applying the approximation as directed) produces the answer of 2.09 x 105 N/C. So you'll have to show us your work and we can help you figure out what went wrong.

My work is as shown below:

Mass of Electron: 9.11 x 10^-31 kg
Charge of Electron: 1.6 x 10^-19 C

E= F/q
F= ma
v= d/t
t= d/v= 0.02/(7x10^6)= 2.86 x 10^-9 seconds
a= v/t= (7x10^6)/(2.86x10^-9)= 2.45 x 10^15 m/s/s
F= ma= (9.11x10^-31)*(2.45x10^15)= 2.23 x 10^-15 N
E= F/q = (2.23x10^-15)/(1.6x10^-19)= 13949.7 N/C

I'm taking physics 2 right now so I'm not entirely sure I'm correct, but I think you're wrong here:

a= v/t= (7x10^6)/(2.86x10^-9)= 2.45 x 10^15 m/s/s.

The time you calculated to travel .02 m is correct. In this time the electron travels 0.15 m from the bottom to the top. You can use a kinematics equation to find acceleration. The rest your work will be correct when you substitute the correct acceleration in.

ToffeeCake said:
My work is as shown below:

Mass of Electron: 9.11 x 10^-31 kg
Charge of Electron: 1.6 x 10^-19 C

E= F/q
F= ma
v= d/t
t= d/v= 0.02/(7x10^6)= 2.86 x 10^-9 seconds
So far so good. :approve:
a= v/t= (7x10^6)/(2.86x10^-9)= 2.45 x 10^15 m/s/s
av/t.

You can't just do that. :-p If you happened to know the initial and final velocity components of a given direction (such as the y-direction) you could calculate the acceleration in that direction, assuming it is uniform, via
ay = (vyf - vyi)/t
But the y-component of the final velocity is not given. So this method doesn't apply here.

But there is a method that does. You know that F = ma, and you know that E = F/q. Combine these equations into one.

You also have another kinematics equation for uniform acceleration that relates displacement, acceleration and time. Combine that one into your existing combination too. That's all you need. :wink:

collinsmark said:
You also have another kinematics equation for uniform acceleration that relates displacement, acceleration and time. Combine that one into your existing combination too. That's all you need. :wink:

So this is what I ended up doing:
d= vit + ½at2
a= 2(d-vit) / t2
= [2(0.02-(7x106)(2.86x10-9))] / ((2.86x10-9)2)
= -4.89 x 1012 m/s/s
^ My first question is whether this should be a negative acceleration.. which I don't quite understand

E= ma/q
E= [(9.11x10-31)(-4.89x1012)]/(1.6x10-19)= -27.84 N/C

Nevermind! I got it :) I was using horizontal displacement and velocities instead of vertical.
It slipped my mind that that viy= 0 m/s.

Anyways, thank you! I figured it out this time :biggrin:

Related to Electron Force Between Parallel Plates

1. What is the electron force between parallel plates?

The electron force between parallel plates, also known as the Coulomb force, is the electrostatic force between two charged particles, in this case, electrons, separated by a distance in a vacuum. It is the force that causes the electrons to attract or repel each other based on their charges.

2. What factors affect the electron force between parallel plates?

The electron force between parallel plates is affected by the magnitude of the charges on the plates, the distance between the plates, and the dielectric constant of the material between the plates. These factors determine the strength and direction of the force between the electrons.

3. How is the electron force between parallel plates calculated?

The electron force between parallel plates can be calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. The formula can be written as F = k*q1*q2/d^2, where k is the Coulomb constant, q1 and q2 are the charges, and d is the distance between the plates.

4. How does the electron force between parallel plates affect the motion of electrons?

The electron force between parallel plates can either attract or repel electrons, depending on the charges of the plates. If the plates have opposite charges, the electrons will be attracted towards one of the plates, causing them to move in that direction. If the plates have the same charge, the electrons will be repelled, causing them to move away from the plates.

5. Can the electron force between parallel plates be manipulated?

Yes, the electron force between parallel plates can be manipulated by changing the distance between the plates or by changing the magnitude of the charges on the plates. This can be done by adjusting the voltage or by introducing a dielectric material between the plates, which can change the strength of the force and its direction.