Electron moles present in wire cross-section

In summary: Oops.In summary, the conversation is about how to cancel out coulombs and electrons. The summary states that current is coulombs per second and electrons are in the unit of coulombs. The summary also states that you need to get mol on top and that there are 6.022E23 electrons in a mol. The summary then states that you need to convert centimeters to meters in order to find the area, but that this still doesn't work. The summary then says that you should use exponential notation instead of converting the cm to mm. The summary finishes with saying that you are dumb and that you should have known that cm is not mm.
JoeyBob
Homework Statement
See image
Relevant Equations
I=C/t
So I know current is just coulombs/second. Electrons are also in the unit of coulombs, so I can get coulombs to cancel.

7.9C/s/1.602E-29C = 4.93133E29 1/s

Now I just need to get mol on top. There are 6.022E23 electron in a mol so 4.93133E29 1/s / 6.022E23 atoms/mol = 8.1889E5 mol/s.

Now my problem is that I don't know what to do with the diameter. My only hint is that the units also have m^2, which could imply that I need to multiply the above by area? So using A=pir^2 I would get an area of 0.5027 m^2. Obviously multiplying this value by the above value won't get me the right answer.

What am I missing here?

Attachments

• Wire.PNG
    Wire.PNG
    7 KB · Views: 96
Physics news on Phys.org
They want to know the number of moles per area per second. It should be obvious that you divide by the area.
You need to convert the centimeters to meters in computing the area. The number you give for the area is way off.

Charles Link said:
They want to know the number of moles per area per second. It should be obvious that you divide by the area.
You need to convert the centimeters to meters in computing the area. The number you give for the area is way off.

Youre right, but even if I divide instead of multiply the area I still get the wrong answer. The answer is 1.63, but ill get 1629129.9. So its right but has too many digits it seems.

Okay i forgot to convert the cm too, but when I convert it to m and divide by area I get an answer that's even bigger and also wrong (4.07 E11)

The electron charge is 1.602E-19 .(not E-29).
Make sure you use the radius of the wire (rather than the diameter) in computing the area. =Edit=looks like you did. You then divide by the area. You should get the correct answer.

Last edited:
Charles Link said:
The electron charge is 1.602E-19 .(not E-29).
Make sure you use the radius of the wire (rather than the diameter) in computing the area. You should get the correct answer.

So then I get 8.1991 E-5for mol/s. Dividing by area still doesn't work for me.

0.4cm = 0.0004 m. A=pir^2 = 0.000000502.

0.000081889/0.000000502 = 163, which is too large by a factor of 100.

You would do better to use exponential notation. But the ## r=.004 ## m. I think everything then works.

Likes JoeyBob
Charles Link said:
You would do better to use exponential notation. But the ## r=.004 ## m. I think everything then works.

Yeah I am dumb. cm is not mm.

1. How do you calculate the number of electron moles present in a wire's cross-section?

The number of electron moles present in a wire's cross-section can be calculated by dividing the total number of electrons in the wire by Avogadro's number (6.02 x 10^23). This can be determined by multiplying the wire's cross-sectional area (in square meters) by the wire's length (in meters) and then multiplying that by the number of electrons per cubic meter in the wire's material.

2. What is the significance of knowing the number of electron moles in a wire's cross-section?

The number of electron moles in a wire's cross-section is important because it helps determine the wire's electrical conductivity and resistance. It can also provide insight into the wire's thermal and magnetic properties.

3. How does the number of electron moles in a wire's cross-section affect its electrical properties?

The number of electron moles in a wire's cross-section directly affects its electrical conductivity and resistance. A higher number of electron moles means a higher electrical conductivity, while a lower number of electron moles means a higher electrical resistance.

4. Can the number of electron moles in a wire's cross-section change?

The number of electron moles in a wire's cross-section can change if the wire's material or dimensions change. It can also change due to external factors such as temperature and applied voltage.

5. How is the number of electron moles in a wire's cross-section related to its atomic structure?

The number of electron moles in a wire's cross-section is related to its atomic structure because the number of electrons present in an atom's outermost energy level determines the number of free electrons available for conduction in a wire. This is also known as the valence electrons.