Electron Orbitals motion patterns

In summary, electrons can change shells without becoming a neutralized charge because they don't follow a specific orbit in the nucleus like nuclear shells do, but rather exist in a range of energy levels.
orbitalsquest
I am wondering how is it that the electrons go from one elctron shell to another because I learned that the shells only meet in the nucleus of the element so how is it possible for it to change shells without becoming a nuetralized charge?

Physics news on Phys.org
orbitalsquest said:
I am wondering how is it that the electrons go from one elctron shell to another because I learned that the shells only meet in the nucleus of the element so how is it possible for it to change shells without becoming a nuetralized charge?

I think you are confusing two different things, nuclear shells and electron states. For one thing electron states are just that. They are defined by energy, but the electrons don't have a particular orbit.

1. What are electron orbitals?

Electron orbitals are regions of space around an atom's nucleus where electrons are most likely to be found. They describe the three-dimensional motion of electrons in an atom.

2. How many types of electron orbitals are there?

There are four types of electron orbitals: s, p, d, and f. Each type has a different shape and can hold a different number of electrons.

3. How do electrons move in orbitals?

Electrons move in orbitals in a wave-like motion, known as quantum motion. They do not move in a circular orbit like planets around the sun, but rather exist in a state of probability within the orbital.

4. What determines the shape of an electron orbital?

The shape of an electron orbital is determined by the energy level and angular momentum of the electron. The different types of orbitals have different energy levels and angular momenta, resulting in their distinct shapes.

5. How do electron orbitals relate to the periodic table?

The electron orbitals determine the arrangement of electrons in an atom, which in turn determines an element's properties and placement in the periodic table. The number and arrangement of electrons in an atom's orbitals determine its chemical reactivity and physical properties.