Electrons causing nuclear decay

In summary, the conversation is about the contribution of electrons to nuclear decay and whether bound electrons can cause a greater decay. The original poster had previously asked a similar question about beta minus decay, but this question is about bound electrons causing decay. Another person responded by mentioning electron capture, a form of decay where the nucleus grabs an atomic electron and the atom emits an X-ray or second electron to fill the resulting hole. The original poster thanks them for clarifying their understanding.
omiros
Hello everybody, I am a first year and I have one more question.

To what degree do electron contribute to nuclear decay?

(Do electron which can 'spend' some time in the nucleus cause bigger decay?)

Thanks in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Omiros, :confused: What the heck, you just posted a thread on this very same topic two days ago.

Bill_K said:
Omiros, :confused: What the heck, you just posted a thread on this very same topic two days ago.

Hahaha that one was about beta minus decay. This about bound electrons causing a decay. Not the products of it :)

omiros said:
Hahaha that one was about beta minus decay. This about bound electrons causing a decay. Not the products of it :)
Well I answered this question in the previous thread, so here is my answer again.
A more interesting example of the interplay between nuclear decay and the atomic electrons is an alternative decay mode to beta plus decay called electron capture or K-capture, in which the nucleus grabs an atomic electron. Since this electron is taken from a low-lying shell, the atom needs to fill the hole, by emitting an X-ray, or sometimes a second ("Auger") electron.

Bill_K said:
Well I answered this question in the previous thread, so here is my answer again.

I really did understand something completely different. Probably I was thinking other stuff, so I adapted these words into what I wanted to understand. Thanks again though.

1. What is nuclear decay?

Nuclear decay is a process in which the nucleus of an atom changes spontaneously, emitting radiation in the form of alpha particles, beta particles, or gamma rays.

2. How do electrons cause nuclear decay?

Electrons do not directly cause nuclear decay. However, they can be involved in the process by interacting with the nucleus through the electromagnetic force, leading to changes in the nuclear structure and resulting in decay.

3. Can electrons be emitted during nuclear decay?

Yes, electrons can be emitted during a type of nuclear decay called beta decay. In beta decay, a neutron in the nucleus is converted into a proton and an electron, which is then emitted from the nucleus.

4. How do scientists study the role of electrons in nuclear decay?

Scientists use various methods, such as particle accelerators and radioactive decay experiments, to study the role of electrons in nuclear decay. They also use mathematical models and theories, such as quantum mechanics, to understand the behavior of electrons in the nucleus.

5. Can nuclear decay be controlled or manipulated by electrons?

No, nuclear decay is a spontaneous process that cannot be controlled or manipulated by electrons. However, scientists can influence the rate of decay by changing the environment or conditions of the nucleus, such as temperature or pressure.