Electrons have to move -- why?

• Thread starter blackole
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electrons
In summary, electrons move from one energy level to another by absorbing energy and jumping to a higher orbit.
blackole
Why? And how? Electrons has to move from one energy level to another?

Physics news on Phys.org
The movement of electrons from one state to another is an observed phenomenon, so I'm not sure what you mean by "why do they have to?" They don't "have to", they just do, as a consequence of energy absorption. Physics is an attempt to understand why they do it. "have to" is metaphysics or philosophy.

Thanks for reply, I read electrons move from low energy level to high energy level by gaining electrons and vice versa,now my question is what is that energy level ?and what differentiates low from high energy ?

Not by gaining electrons, by absorbing photons.

The energy levels correspond to possible states of the (bound) electron - basically if you add energy (a photon) then the electron moves to a higher energy state.

I guess this may not be what you're after so maybe you want to clarify your question.

Lets think of it as a person who wants to watch a movie on the couch vs exercise in the gym. Couch is a low energy state and most people want to be there, If any external energy is given than a person might want to get out and exercise. Electrons are the same way, they want to be on the low energy state. It is just easier :)

Electrons get excited when photons turn up, otherwise like madphdstudent said, they prefer to slouch on the couch.

Likes phinds and madphdstudent
rootone said:
Electrons get excited when photons turn up, otherwise like madphdstudent said, they prefer to slouch on the couch.
And usually some time after getiing all excited with the new photon, they get tired, get rid of it and back on the couch.

wabbit said:
And usually some time after getiing all excited with the new photon, they get tired, get rid of it and back on the couch.
Until a really serious rent collector photon comes along and kicks them out entirely.
But in most of those cases they make a neutrino issue out of it, and they get accepted into a more hospitable community.

Last edited:
rootone said:
Until a really serious rent collector photon comes along and kicks them out entirely.
But in most of those cases they make a neutrino issue out of it, and they get accepted into a more hospitable community.
They only do that in their moments of weakness.

wabbit said:
They only do that in their moments of weakness.
True, In the end it comes down to whether the nucleus is that bothered about it.,
Some of them would disintegrate,, because they just had enough of that.
Others would put up with it for a while.

Last edited:
when electrons are exiced they absorb energy so they jump to a higher orbit(shell), when they go into lower shells they release energy in the form of electromagnetic waves.

When a mentor like @phinds answers a question I recommend liking his reply to show your appreciation.

lonely_nucleus said:
when electrons are exiced they absorb energy so they jump to a higher orbit(shell), when they go into lower shells they release energy in the form of electromagnetic waves.

When a mentor like @phinds answers a question I recommend liking his reply to show your appreciation.
Thank you, but actually, I'm not a mentor ... more like the local wise-ass :smile:

phinds said:
Thank you, but actually, I'm not a mentor ... more like the local wise-ass :smile:
ahaha that made me laugh friend.

1. Why do electrons have to move?

Electrons have to move because they carry an electrical charge, and movement of charged particles is what creates an electric current. In order for electricity to flow and power devices, electrons must continuously move from one atom to another.

2. What causes electrons to move?

Electrons can be induced to move through various means, such as an electric field, a magnetic field, or thermal energy. In a circuit, the movement of electrons is typically initiated by a power source, such as a battery, that creates an electric field which pushes the electrons.

3. What are the consequences of electrons not moving?

If electrons do not move, then there will be no electric current and devices will not receive power. This is why it is important for electrons to continuously move in order for electricity to function properly.

4. Can electrons move in any direction?

Electrons can move in any direction, but they are most commonly observed to move from a higher electrical potential to a lower one. This is because electrons are negatively charged and are attracted to the positive charge of the opposite electrical potential.

5. How fast do electrons move?

The speed of electrons can vary depending on the material they are moving through and the amount of resistance in the circuit. In a typical household circuit, electrons can move at a speed of about 1 millimeter per second, which is very slow compared to the speed of light.