Why Do Like Charges Repel & Unlike Charges Attract?

In summary, like charges repel and unlike charges attract each other due to the fundamental fact of nature that particles tend to move towards the state of minimum energy. This can be explained through various theories such as the Standard model, quantum field theory, and string theory. The energy in each infinitesimal part of the field is proportional to the square of the field intensity, leading to a release of energy when like charges repel and unlike charges attract. This phenomenon has been observed by many and has been the subject of various theories in the field of physics.
ankitmohan91
why like charges repel n unlike charge attract each other?

Physics news on Phys.org
What sort of answer do you want?
The empirical one (people have always observed that it is so), the electrodynamical answer (the force law between charges depends on the product [itex]q_1 q_2[/itex]), the field theoretical one or the standard-model argument?

My point it, is seems to be such a basic fact of nature that you can get as fundamental as you want.

it moves toward the state of minimum energy.

why its a fact i want to knw that ?

can u please explain how they move towards state of min energy?

i can explain why its the state of minimum energy.

the energy in each infinitesimal part of the field is proportional to the square of the field intensity. when 2 like charges overlap then their fields are everywhere doubled. hence four times the energy of a single particle is stored. when they repel apart that leaves half the energy to be released as kinetic energy.

tis shows y like repel each other wat abt unlike charges?

same thing. the field of 2 overlapping unlike charges is zero. all the energy is released as light.

thanks

but can u provide me link of tis if u knw(multimedia)

i can't get u completely

I'm not aware of any

kkkkk still thanks for the answer

ankitmohan91 said:
why its a fact i want to knw that ?
Yes, so did a lot of other people. This has led to the development of theories like the Standard model, QFT and string theory :smile:

ankitmohan91 said:
why like charges repel n unlike charge attract each other?

because they are extremely heterosexual and homophobic.

What is the basic principle behind like charges repelling and unlike charges attracting?

The basic principle behind like charges repelling and unlike charges attracting is the concept of electric charge. All matter is made up of particles with electric charge, such as protons and electrons. Like charges, such as two positive charges or two negative charges, produce forces that repel each other. Unlike charges, such as a positive and a negative charge, produce forces that attract each other.

How is the force between two charges related to the distance between them?

The force between two charges is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the charges increases, the force between them decreases. Similarly, as the distance between the charges decreases, the force between them increases.

Why do like charges repel each other?

Like charges repel each other because they have the same type of charge, either positive or negative. These charges create an electric field around them, and when two like charges are placed in this field, they experience a repulsive force. This is due to the fact that like charges have the same polarity and therefore, they push each other away.

Why do unlike charges attract each other?

Unlike charges attract each other because they have opposite types of charge, one positive and one negative. These charges create an electric field around them, and when two unlike charges are placed in this field, they experience an attractive force. This is due to the fact that unlike charges have opposite polarity and therefore, they are attracted to each other.

Can the force between two charges be shielded or canceled out?

Yes, the force between two charges can be shielded or canceled out by introducing a third charge with an equal but opposite charge. This is known as charge neutralization and it occurs when the third charge is placed between the two original charges. The forces between the original two charges are then balanced out by the third charge, resulting in no net force between them.