Electrostatic Energy in the Hydrogen Atom

In summary, the electric field energy of a neutral atom is computed as a function of the radius of the sphere containing the charge distribution and the charge on the surface of the sphere.
Keiner Nichts

Homework Statement

We model the Hydrogen atom as a charge distribution in which the proton (a point charge) is surrounded by negative charge with the volume density of ρ = -ρ0 * exp (-2r/a0) where a0 is the Bohr radius. And ρ0 is a constant chosen such that the entire atomic distribution is neutral. What is the electrostatic energy contained within the electric field of outer region of the sphere of radius a0?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried reducing the sphere to a point charge, but it doesn't work for neutral distributions (Should've figured that sooner.) Generally, I've tried to apply everything I could as far as the formula W (energy) = ∫ φ * dq goes (where φ is the electrostatic potential, and dq is the charge.)

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you need to build up the charge density around the proton as a function of radius and as you begin to add layers of negative charge, the electric field and the potential will be reduced in amplitude. Besides the negative electrostatic energy from the negative electric charge distribution, the electric field energy density has a term that i believe is ## U=E^2/(8 \pi) ## in cg.s. units. The question seems to be asking for the electric field energy for ## r>a_o ##, but the question doesn't appear to be entirely clear. The electric field can be computed as a function of r using Gauss's law. The question being asked seems to need some additional clarification. By electrostatic energy, do they mean electric charge distribution interacting with electric field or just the electric field energy?

I reckon merely the electric field energy. Though, unfortunately, that is as clear as the question gets...For a superficial distribution I was able to simply assess the potential of interaction between the proton and the electron, and also the potential the electron generates when it interacts with itself, then I used said potential to calculate the energy as the sum between the two respective interaction energies. Though it seems that making it a volume distribution rather than a surface one complicates things further.

Keiner Nichts said:
I reckon merely the electric field energy. Though, unfortunately, that is as clear as the question gets...For a superficial distribution I was able to simply assess the potential of interaction between the proton and the electron, and also the potential the electron generates when it interacts with itself, then I used said potential to calculate the energy as the sum between the two respective interaction energies. Though it seems that making it a volume distribution rather than a surface one complicates things further.
Suggestion is to first compute the constant ## \rho_o ## and then compute the electric field as a function of ## r ## (a simple calculation involving Gauss's law.). Finally, compute the electric field energy (as a function of ## r ##) from energy density ## U=E^2/(8 \pi) ##. (Please check this formula but I think I got it correct.) I would compute the electric field energy for both cases ## r<a_o ## and ## r>a_o ## and then even add them for the total electric field energy. It would appear they are not interested in the electrostatic energy of the form ## W=q \phi ##. Note: Gauss law in cgs units reads ## \int E \cdot dA=4 \pi Q ## where ## Q ## is enclosed charge. (The problem can also be worked in mks units where Gauss law has ## Q/\epsilon_o ## on the right side and the energy density expression also has a different constant.)

Last edited:
Likes Keiner Nichts
Thank you. I think I might've reached a rather satisfactory result using the form in mks units. It seems alright dimensionally, at least.

Likes Charles Link

1. What is electrostatic energy in the hydrogen atom?

Electrostatic energy in the hydrogen atom refers to the potential energy that exists between the positively charged nucleus and the negatively charged electron. This energy is a result of the attraction between opposite charges and plays a crucial role in the stability and behavior of the atom.

2. How is electrostatic energy calculated in the hydrogen atom?

The electrostatic energy in the hydrogen atom is calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the force of attraction between two charged particles is directly proportional to their charges and inversely proportional to the distance between them. The formula for electrostatic energy is E = k(q1q2)/r, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the particles, and r is the distance between them.

3. Why is electrostatic energy important in the hydrogen atom?

Electrostatic energy is important in the hydrogen atom because it determines the stability of the atom. If the electrostatic energy is too high, the electron may be pulled closer to the nucleus, resulting in the collapse of the atom. On the other hand, if the electrostatic energy is too low, the electron may escape the attraction of the nucleus, causing the atom to become unstable.

4. How does electrostatic energy affect the energy levels of the hydrogen atom?

The electrostatic energy in the hydrogen atom is directly related to the energy levels of the electron. As the electron moves closer to the nucleus, the electrostatic energy increases, and as it moves farther away, the electrostatic energy decreases. This results in different energy levels for the electron, which correspond to different orbitals in the atom.

5. Can electrostatic energy be changed in the hydrogen atom?

Yes, electrostatic energy in the hydrogen atom can be changed by altering the distance between the nucleus and the electron. This can be done by adding or removing energy from the system, which can cause the electron to move to a different energy level. Additionally, changing the charge of the nucleus or the electron can also affect the electrostatic energy in the atom.