Electrostatic force equilibrium

In summary: The potential energy of the system will not match that of a spring when the charges are placed at the vertices of an equilateral triangle.
Prabs3257
Homework Statement
Three equal charges +q are placed at the three vertices of an equilateral triangle centered at the origin. They are held in equilibrium by a restoring force of magnitude F(r) = kr directed towards the origin, where k is a constant. What is the distance of the three charges from the origin ?
Relevant Equations
Energy conservation
I was thinking that we can equate the electrostatic potential energy and the spring energy (as the force is similar to that of a spring so energy will also be 1/2kx^2 ) but i am not getting the correct ans but by equating the net force on one charge to kr i am getting the correct ans can anybody please explain me why

Attachments

• 15731661746094074509373175424495.jpg
    15731661746094074509373175424495.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 220
  • Screenshot_20191108_030245.jpg
    Screenshot_20191108_030245.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 193
Physics news on Phys.org
Prabs3257 said:
Homework Statement: Three equal charges +q are placed at the three vertices of an equilateral triangle centered at the origin. They are held in equilibrium by a restoring force of magnitude F(r) = kr directed towards the origin, where k is a constant. What is the distance of the three charges from the origin ?
Homework Equations: Energy conservation

I was thinking that we can equate the electrostatic potential energy and the spring energy (as the force is similar to that of a spring so energy will also be 1/2kx^2 ) but i am not getting the correct ans but by equating the net force on one charge to kr i am getting the correct ans can anybody please explain me why
In this three particle set up, the force on one does not vary as the inverse square of its distance from some fixed point. So the potential energy will not match that for a spring.

Edit: even if you were to model it as three springs connecting them in pairs it still would not work. The electrostatic force goes as the inverse square, while the elastic force goes as the square.

Last edited:
haruspex said:
In this three particle set up, the force on one does not vary as the inverse square of its distance from some fixed point. So the potential energy will not match that for a spring.
If you were to model it as three springs connecting them in pairs it should work.
If i pair them then they will be in parallel like in the pic below and keff will be 3k but then also i am missing by a factor of 1/2

Attachments

• 15731676809757895532088338830724.jpg
    15731676809757895532088338830724.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 183
I don't see why one would expect any simple relation between the potential energies associated with the two types of forces when the system is in equilibrium. I think you are going to have to work with forces, not energies.

Likes Delta2, Doc Al and collinsmark
Prabs3257 said:
If i pair them then they will be in parallel like in the pic below and keff will be 3k but then also i am missing by a factor of 1/2
Please see my corrected post #2.

1. What is electrostatic force equilibrium?

Electrostatic force equilibrium is a state in which the total electrostatic force acting on an object is balanced and the object remains stationary. This occurs when the net electrostatic force on the object is equal to zero.

2. What factors affect electrostatic force equilibrium?

The main factors that affect electrostatic force equilibrium are the magnitude and direction of the electrostatic force, as well as the charges and distances of the objects involved. The position and shape of the objects can also play a role in determining the electrostatic force equilibrium.

3. How can electrostatic force equilibrium be achieved?

Electrostatic force equilibrium can be achieved by adjusting the charges and/or positions of the objects involved. For example, if two objects with opposite charges are placed at a certain distance from each other, the electrostatic force between them can be balanced by adjusting their charges or positions.

4. What are some real-life applications of electrostatic force equilibrium?

Electrostatic force equilibrium has many practical applications. One common example is the use of electrostatic precipitators in industrial settings to remove particulates from air. It is also important in the design of electronic devices, such as capacitors and transistors, which rely on balanced electrostatic forces to function properly.

5. How does electrostatic force equilibrium relate to the concept of electrostatic potential?

Electrostatic potential is the measure of the potential energy of a charge at a particular point in space. In electrostatic force equilibrium, the electrostatic potential is constant throughout the system, as there is no net movement of charges. This is because in equilibrium, the electrostatic force is balanced and there is no change in potential energy.