Electrostatic potential independent of distance?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of calculating the potential energy of a packet of electrons when the distance between them is zero. The participants suggest that it may not be possible to calculate the potential energy without taking distance into account.
Anti-Meson
Say I have a packet of electrons just sitting there, before they repel each other, what is their potential energy?

I have no idea of how to calculate their potential energy since at r = 0 , U = infinity, which is not helpful since my problem requires U to be finite but the only way I know of that being true is that r does not = 0.

Any way of calculating PE without distance?

Physics news on Phys.org
hmmmm , I don't think this is possible .. do you have the exact question ?

I think it is impossible and so I just forced some boundary conditions. i.e. initial separation is not = 0.

1. What is electrostatic potential independent of distance?

Electrostatic potential independent of distance refers to the concept that the potential energy associated with an electric charge does not depend on its distance from the source of the charge. This means that the potential energy remains constant regardless of how far away the charges are from each other.

2. How is electrostatic potential independent of distance related to Coulomb's law?

Electrostatic potential independent of distance is directly related to Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charges is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between charges increases, the force decreases, but the potential energy remains constant.

3. What is the mathematical equation for electrostatic potential independent of distance?

The mathematical equation for electrostatic potential independent of distance is V = kQ/r, where V is the potential energy, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge, and r is the distance between the charges.

4. Can electrostatic potential be negative?

Yes, electrostatic potential can be negative. This occurs when the two charges have opposite signs, resulting in a negative value for the potential energy. In this case, the charges are attracted to each other and will tend to move closer together.

5. How is electrostatic potential independent of distance used in practical applications?

Electrostatic potential independent of distance is used in various practical applications, including in electrostatic precipitators to remove air pollutants, in the construction of capacitors, and in electrostatic discharge (ESD) protection for electronic devices. It is also a fundamental concept in understanding the behavior of electric fields and their effects on charged particles.