Electrostatics from particle laden air

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of generating static electricity from air flow containing particles, specifically dust and smoke, by using experiments such as the Kelvin water dropper or a Van de Graaff arrangement. There is speculation on whether the dust particles could be discharged and if tiny metallic particles would work better. However, there is a warning against using this method due to the potential for explosions and the difficulty of removing the particles once they cling to surfaces.
Niki
Is it possible to generate static electricity from air flow containing particles example smoke or dust flow, or does anyone know of experiments such as the kelvin water dropper converted to generate static from air flow ?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It very possible. Grain transporters and silos use air to move grain around. Unfortunately the mixture of dust and air can be explosive and generate sufficient static electricity to trigger an explosion.

Likes Niki
Warning - speculation !

I've often wondered if something like this could be used in a Van de Graaff arrangement. But I'd assumed I could just rely on ionising air molecules.

If you used dust, I wonder how you would discharge the particles? When they passed through the mesh / past the brushes, wouldn't they be attracted and tend to stick? Perhaps tiny metallic particles would work better, as they would discharge on contact.

The problem with both VdG and Kelvin generator might be the repulsion as the charge builds up, but with solid particles if you drive them fast enough I suppose you can overcome that (the water drops disintegrate.).

Perhaps also worth looking at how the charge needed to create a lightning strike is built up.

Likes Cutter Ketch
Merlin3189 said:
…Perhaps tiny metallic particles would work better, as they would discharge on contact …
DON’T DO IT! I used to work in a robotic welding factory. The air was always a bit hazy, and most of that haze was tiny metallic particulates. I can tell you from experience that they cling to everything. As a maintenance team, it was one of our biggest problems.

Sorry to be so emphatic, but I think I just had a little ptsd flashback.

1. What is electrostatics from particle laden air?

Electrostatics from particle laden air is a branch of science that studies the behavior of electrically charged particles in the air, such as dust, pollen, and other pollutants. It involves the study of how these particles interact with each other and with other objects in the environment.

2. How does electrostatics from particle laden air affect our health?

Electrostatics from particle laden air can have negative effects on our health. When these charged particles are inhaled, they can irritate our respiratory system and cause respiratory problems. They can also exacerbate existing conditions such as asthma and allergies.

3. What are some common sources of electrostatics from particle laden air?

Some common sources of electrostatics from particle laden air include power plants, factories, construction sites, and transportation vehicles. These sources emit particles into the air, which can become charged due to friction or other processes.

4. How can we reduce electrostatics from particle laden air?

There are several ways to reduce electrostatics from particle laden air. One way is to use air filters or purifiers to remove particles from the air. Proper ventilation and regular cleaning can also help reduce the buildup of charged particles in indoor spaces. Additionally, reducing the use of fossil fuels and promoting clean energy sources can help reduce the overall amount of particles in the air.

5. What are some potential applications of studying electrostatics from particle laden air?

Studying electrostatics from particle laden air can have various applications in different industries. For example, understanding how particles interact with each other and with different surfaces can help improve air filtration systems and reduce air pollution. It can also aid in the development of new technologies for particle separation and air quality monitoring.