1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrostatics of balls on a string

1. Feb 5, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In Fig. 21-42 (I attached an MSPaint rendition of it), two tiny conducting balls of identical mass m and Identical charge q hang from non-conducting threads of length L. Assume [tex]\theta[/tex] is so small that [tex]tan \theta[/tex] can be replaced by its approximate equal, [tex] sin \theta[/tex]. (a) Show that [tex]x=(\frac{q^2L}{2\pi\epsilon_{0}mg})^{1/3}[/tex] gives the equilibrium separation of the balls. (b) If L=120cm, m=10 g, and x=5.0 cm, what is |q|?

2. Relevant equations
    Well, I think Coulomb's law is clearly involved because of the [tex]\frac{1}{2\pi\epsilon_{0}}[/tex] bit, which is equal to 2*k.
    So then, restating Coulomb's law: [tex]F=\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}*\frac{\left|q_1\right|\left|q_2\right|}{r^2}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    The problem here is I don't know how to start the problem. It appears simple enough but I can't seem to get an answer out of it. Here is what I was thinking: since [tex]q_1[/tex] and [tex]q_2[/tex] are both the same, the top bit of coulomb's law becomes [tex]q^2[/tex] since any number squared is positive (no need for abs. value). splitting out coulomb's law from the full equasion within parenthesis gives [tex]x=(\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}*\frac{q^2}{r^2}*\frac{2Lr^2}{mg})^{1/3}[/tex]. The problem with this is that I had to work in [tex]\frac{r^2}{r^2}[/tex], when I'm pretty sure there's an equivalency in there somewhere.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Pick one of the balls (the left one, say) and analyze the forces acting on it. The Coulomb force is just one of the forces involved. Hint: Consider vertical and horizontal components separately.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?