Ellipse from 2 arbitrary points, tangent at P1 and focus

In summary: Is it possible to find this? Really only need the semi major axis or even it's orientation.In summary, it seems that Kepler's laws may be able to solve this problem.
silkms
MENTOR Note: Moved this thread from a math forum hence no template

Is it possible to find this? Really only need the semi major axis or even it's orientation.

In the image below, elements in red are known.

Orbital_Ellipse.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
Have you looked at Kepler's laws for planetary motion?

Yup. I am using them to find the velocity for a projectile at p1, when both p1 and p2 are on the surface of the planet, but unfortunately my technique for finding the true anomaly (the angle between p1 and the periapsis), breaks when one of the points leaves the surface and is no longer mirrored across the axis of the ellipse.

A technique for finding the true anomaly for a more general case would also allow me to solve this!

I expect that there is a solution to this using Kepler's laws, but I am struggling to get there and hoping someone here will have some insight.

Seems solvable. You only need two numbers to specify the ellipse, and it looks like with the information given, you should be able to come up with at least two independent equations. (I take it we can assume the planet is much more massive than the orbiting object and therefore remains at rest.)

When you say, "tangent at P1," do you mean you know the velocity of the object at P1 or just its direction?

vela said:
Seems solvable. You only need two numbers to specify the ellipse, and it looks like with the information given, you should be able to come up with at least two independent equations. (I take it we can assume the planet is much more massive than the orbiting object and therefore remains at rest.)

When you say, "tangent at P1," do you mean you know the velocity of the object at P1 or just its direction?

Just it's direction. Actually hoping to find it's velocity.

1. What is an ellipse?

An ellipse is a geometric shape that resembles a flattened circle. It is defined as the set of all points in a plane, the sum of whose distances from two fixed points (called the foci) is constant.

2. How is an ellipse formed?

An ellipse is formed by drawing a curved line that connects two points, called the foci, and tracing a point that moves along the line while always maintaining a constant distance from the foci.

3. What are the properties of an ellipse?

An ellipse has several properties, including an eccentricity that determines its shape (ranging from a circle with an eccentricity of 0 to a thin, elongated ellipse with an eccentricity close to 1), a major axis and a minor axis, and a center point that is the midpoint between the two foci.

4. How is an ellipse described mathematically?

An ellipse can be described mathematically using the standard form equation: (x^2/a^2) + (y^2/b^2) = 1, where a represents the semi-major axis and b represents the semi-minor axis. The distance between the two foci is equal to 2c, where c^2 = a^2 - b^2.

5. What is the significance of the tangent at P1 in an ellipse?

The tangent at P1 is a line that touches the ellipse at one point, P1, and is perpendicular to the radius of the ellipse at that point. It represents the direction in which an object would move if it were to roll along the ellipse at that point, without slipping.