1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ellipse perpendicular distance

1. Feb 15, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that the straight line x cos @ + y sin @ = p is a tangent to the ellipse x2/a2 + y2/b2 if a2 cos2@ + b2 sin2@ =p2 .
    u and v are the perpendicular distances of a tangent from the two points M(0,ae) and N(0,-ae) respectively. Prove that u2 + v2 is a constant.

2. The attempt at a solution

So far I have: xx1/a2+yy1/b2 -1 = x cos@ + y sin@ - p
    I don't know where to go from here and I know in the second part I have to use the perpendicular distance formula but I'm not sure what to sub in and why.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You mean the elliplse [tex]x^2/a^2+ y^2/b^2=1[/tex]. You can simplify that a little by writing it as [tex]b^2x^2+ a^2y^2= a^2b^2[/tex]. Differentiating with respect to x, 2b^2x+ 2a^2yy'= 0 so y'= -b^2x/a^2y. The tangent line at the point [tex](x_1, y_1)[/tex] is given by [tex]y= -(b^2x_1/a^2y_1)(x- x_1)+ y_1[/tex] or b^2x_1x+ a^2y_1y= b^2x_1^2+ a^2y_1^2[/tex].

If we are going to be able to write the coefficients as [tex]cos(\theta)[/itex] and [itex]sin(\theta)[/itex], we must We must have [tex]cos^2(\theta)+ sin^2(\theta)= 1[/tex]. Now we have [tex]b^4x_1^2+ a^4y_1^2[/tex] as the sum of the squares of the coefficients so divide the entire equation by the square root of that:
    [tex]\frac{b^2x_1}{\sqrt{b^4x_1^2+ a^4y_1^2}}x+ \frac{a^2y_1}{\sqrt{b^4x_1^2+ a^4y_1^2}}y= \frac{b^2x_1^2+ a^2y_1^2}{\sqrt{b^4x_1^2+ a^4y_1^2}}[/tex]

That is of the form [tex]cos(\theta)x+ sin(\theta)b= p[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook