Tangent to ellipse also tangent to circle

In summary, the problem is to find the value of "theta" for which the tangent at point P on the ellipse 16x^2 + 11y^2 = 256 is also tangent to the circle x^2 + y^2 + 2x = 15. The tangent at point P can be expressed as (cos d) / 4] x + [(sin d) / (16/(sqrt11))] y = 1. In order for this to also be tangent to the circle, the perpendicular distance from the center of the circle C(-1,0) to the tangent line must be equal to the radius of the circle, which is 4. However, the attempt to solve for the value of
sarthak sharma

Homework Statement

if the tangent at a point P("theta") on the ellipse
16 (x^2) + 11 (y^2) = 256​
is also tangent to the circle
(x^2) + (y^2) + 2(x) = 15​
then ("theta") = ??

2. The attempt at a solution

{{{{ i have taken "theta" as "d" }}}}​

P [4 cos d , (16/(sqrt11)) sin d]

equation of tangent at P on ellipse is {(cos d) / 4] x + [(sin d) / (16/(sqrt11))] y = 1 .....(i)

centre of given circle C(-1,0) and radius r = 4

for (i) to also be tangent on the circle - perpendicular distance of (i) from C must be equal to 4

but when i tried to do so i could not get the answer
may be I am doing something wrong so please anyone could guide me the correct way

Physics news on Phys.org
sarthak sharma said:
but when i tried to do so i could not get the answer
The approach looks good, so please show your work so we can see what went wrong.

1. What is the definition of a tangent to an ellipse?

A tangent to an ellipse is a line or curve that touches the ellipse at exactly one point, without intersecting it.

2. How is a tangent to an ellipse also tangent to a circle?

If a circle is drawn inside an ellipse, the points where the circle touches the ellipse are also tangent points for both shapes. This is because the circle is a special case of an ellipse with equal length semimajor and semiminor axes.

3. How do you mathematically determine the point of tangency between an ellipse and a circle?

To find the point where a tangent line intersects both the ellipse and the circle, you can solve a system of equations using the equations for the ellipse and the circle. The resulting coordinates will be the point of tangency.

4. Can there be more than one tangent line that is tangent to both an ellipse and a circle?

Yes, there can be multiple tangent lines that satisfy the conditions of being tangent to both an ellipse and a circle. In fact, there can be an infinite number of tangent lines depending on the size and orientation of the ellipse and circle.

5. What are the practical applications of the concept of a tangent to ellipse also tangent to circle?

Some practical applications of this concept include designing and constructing curved surfaces such as roads and bridges, calculating the path of a projectile, and creating geometric shapes in art and design.