Finding the Volume of a Revolved Ellipse Using Calculus

In summary, the problem is to find the volume of a region swept by an ellipse rotated around the y-axis. The correct formula is \pi\int_{y=-b}^b x^2 dy, which is derived by taking the cross section of the rotated ellipse and summing the volumes of thin disks of thickness \Delta y. This integral is used because most integrals are set up using Riemann sums.
Smartass

Homework Statement

The problem is that an ellipse (centered at origin) is revolved about y-axis. Now I have to find the volume of this swept region. But how do I go about using calculus? I have to derive it.

Homework Equations

Volume of ellipsoid = 4/3*pi*abc (source wikipedia)
Equation of ellipse: x^2/a^2 + y^2/b^2 = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

integral(pi*a*b*dθ), limits 0 to pi. What is wrong with this?

Now I know after searching that the volume is given by integral(pi*y^2*dx), limits -b to b, but how do you get this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Smartass said:

Homework Statement

The problem is that an ellipse (centered at origin) is revolved about y-axis. Now I have to find the volume of this swept region. But how do I go about using calculus? I have to derive it.

Homework Equations

Volume of ellipsoid = 4/3*pi*abc (source wikipedia)
Equation of ellipse: x^2/a^2 + y^2/b^2 = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

integral(pi*a*b*dθ), limits 0 to pi. What is wrong with this?
What's right with it? Why would you expect it to give you the volume?
That would, of course, give [itex]\pi^2 ab[/itex]. If a= b= r, your ellipsoid will be a sphere of radius r. Does [itex]\pi^2 r^2[/itex] give the volume of that sphere?

Now I know after searching that the volume is given by integral(pi*y^2*dx), limits -b to b, but how do you get this?
Actually, that's wrong. If the ellipse goes from x=-a to x= a, it wouldn't make sense to integrate dx from -b to b. If you were to integrate from -a to a, you would get the volume if that same ellipse were rotated around the x-axis. The correct formula is
[tex]\pi\int_{y=-b}^b x^2 dy[/tex]

If you take a cross section of the rotated ellipsoid, perpendicular to the y-axis (axis of rotation) you get a circle of radius "x". It has area [itex]\pi x^2[/itex] and, imagining it as a thin disk of thickness [itex]\Delta y[/itex] (the thickness is measured along the y-axis), volume [itex]\pi x^2 \Delta y[/itex]. Summing over all such disks gives you a Riemann sum approximating the true volume. In the limit, the Riemann sums become the integral [itex]\int_{y=-b}^b \pi x^2 dy[/itex].

The real reason for learning about Riemann sums (you certainly never use them to actually calculate an integral!) is because most integrals are set up using them.

HallsofIvy said:
What's right with it? Why would you expect it to give you the volume?
That would, of course, give [itex]\pi^2 ab[/itex]. If a= b= r, your ellipsoid will be a sphere of radius r. Does [itex]\pi^2 r^2[/itex] give the volume of that sphere?

Actually, that's wrong. If the ellipse goes from x=-a to x= a, it wouldn't make sense to integrate dx from -b to b. If you were to integrate from -a to a, you would get the volume if that same ellipse were rotated around the x-axis. The correct formula is
[tex]\pi\int_{y=-b}^b x^2 dy[/tex]

If you take a cross section of the rotated ellipsoid, perpendicular to the y-axis (axis of rotation) you get a circle of radius "x". It has area [itex]\pi x^2[/itex] and, imagining it as a thin disk of thickness [itex]\Delta y[/itex] (the thickness is measured along the y-axis), volume [itex]\pi x^2 \Delta y[/itex]. Summing over all such disks gives you a Riemann sum approximating the true volume. In the limit, the Riemann sums become the integral [itex]\int_{y=-b}^b \pi x^2 dy[/itex].

The real reason for learning about Riemann sums (you certainly never use them to actually calculate an integral!) is because most integrals are set up using them.

That makes so much sense, thanks! To justify my attemp, what I did was evaluate the area of the ellipse (=pi*a*a) and then if I rotate it by a small angle, say dθ, then region swept by it would be the volume of that region. If I take dθ from 0 to pi, then one entire rotation of the ellipse takes place and volume of the entire region. I knew I was wrong, it just didn't feel right. But what you said is real good!

1. What is an ellipse revolution?

An ellipse revolution is a geometric concept where a 2D ellipse is rotated around a central axis to create a 3D solid shape. This is similar to how a circle rotated around its diameter creates a sphere.

2. How does an ellipse revolution affect the volume of a shape?

The ellipse revolution significantly increases the volume of a shape compared to its 2D counterpart. This is because the rotation of the ellipse creates a more spacious 3D shape, increasing the volume by a factor of pi.

3. Can an ellipse revolution be applied to any shape?

Yes, an ellipse revolution can be applied to any shape, as long as the shape is symmetrical and has a central axis. This includes shapes such as cylinders, cones, and spheres.

4. What is the formula for calculating the volume of an ellipse revolution?

The formula for calculating the volume of an ellipse revolution is V = (4/3) * pi * r1 * r2 * h, where r1 and r2 are the radii of the ellipse and h is the height of the revolution.

5. How is an ellipse revolution useful in real-world applications?

An ellipse revolution has many real-world applications, including in engineering, architecture, and design. It can be used to create more efficient and structurally sound structures, as well as to create aesthetically pleasing designs.