Elliptic Functions: Physics & Engineering Applications

• Thread starter Winzer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, the book discusses applications of elliptic functions in physics and engineering. It is a very advanced textbook, and someone without a math background may find it difficult. Elliptic functions are used extensively in Baxter's book "Exactly solved models in Statistical Mechanics" to solve many of the 2d lattice models. Additionally, elliptic functions arise in conformal mapping problems with polygons.
Winzer
I did know where in the math forums to post this, hope this is right.
Do elliptic functions along with elliptic integrals have lots of applications in physics and engineering? Besides the pendulum? I guess if I wanted to solve an elliptic integral for a problem it would be help but is there any benefit from studying elliptic functions for application?

Physics news on Phys.org
Winzer said:
I did know where in the math forums to post this, hope this is right.
Do elliptic functions along with elliptic integrals have lots of applications in physics and engineering? Besides the pendulum? I guess if I wanted to solve an elliptic integral for a problem it would be help but is there any benefit from studying elliptic functions for application?

Hello Winzer,

Some time ago I found a book in a second hand bookstore (and bought it for 6.2€ :smile:) on this subject. I haven't had the time to read it yet (first I want to get Lie transformations for DE's in my head), but I will give you the info in case you would like to buy it:

"The applications of Elliptic Functions" by Alfred George Greenhill, 1959

It contains various applications, ranging from the pendulum, evolving chains, central orbits, swinging body (ships), certain lines on Mercator charts, geodesics, etc. Beware that this is a very advanced textbook, the math seems extremely complicated if you are not into it.

If you do not have any knowledge on this, I would suggest to start with some simpler functions. A good book to start with could be:

"Fourier Analysis with applications to boundary value problems" by Murray R. Spiegel, 1995
This is not a book only for Fourier series and transformations, but includes a starting study for advanced functions as Bessel, Legendre, etc. I read it from cover to cover on a -practical just do it and see- basis. I learned these functions therefore by making a lot of exercises.

best regards,

Coomast

Thanks coomast.

That book sounds really interesting. When you say complicated, just how complicated? The highest math I have right now is PDE's; I will be taking Application of Complex Variables. Just from what I have heard elliptic functions can be difficult. What is the math background required? I guess this would be difficult for me seeing that I have not yet taken a proof class like analysis, they have all been applied.

I will take a look at that other book though. Thanks

Two of the important applications of elliptic integrals are:
1. The magnetic fields, forces, and inductances generated by current loops (circles) and solenoids (circular tubes).
2. The electric fields, forces, and capacitances generated by current loops (circles) and solenoids (circular tubes).
Carl_Weggel@Juno.com

Elliptic functions are heavily used in Baxter's "Exactly solved models in Statistical Mechanics" to solve many of the 2d lattice models. For example, the (zero-field) 2d Ising model.

Elliptic functions also arise in conformal mapping problems with polygons (Schwartz-Christoffel).

jason

1. What are elliptic functions?

Elliptic functions are a type of mathematical function that are defined on the complex plane and have periodic properties. They are named after the shape of the curves they form, which resemble ellipses.

2. What are some examples of applications of elliptic functions in physics?

Elliptic functions have been used in various areas of physics, including celestial mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. Some examples include modeling the orbits of planets, calculating the electric potential of certain charge distributions, and describing the energy levels of particles in a periodic potential.

3. How are elliptic functions used in engineering?

In engineering, elliptic functions have been used in fields such as signal processing, control systems, and digital communications. They are particularly useful for modeling systems with periodic behavior, such as electrical circuits and mechanical vibrations.

4. What are the benefits of using elliptic functions in engineering and physics?

Elliptic functions have many advantages, including their ability to accurately represent periodic phenomena, their flexibility in solving differential equations, and their usefulness in solving problems with complex variables. They also have a wide range of applications in both theoretical and practical aspects of engineering and physics.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations when using elliptic functions?

One challenge with using elliptic functions is that they can be difficult to work with, requiring advanced mathematical tools and techniques. Additionally, their relatively complex nature may make it challenging to interpret and apply their solutions in real-world scenarios. It is important to carefully consider the assumptions and limitations of using elliptic functions in a given application.