1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Elliptical partially polarized beam and its intensity

1. May 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A partially elliptically polarized beam of light, propagating int he z direction, passes through a perfect linear polarization analyzer. When the transmission axis of the analyzer is along the x direction, the transmitted intensity is maximum and has the value of 1.5 I[0]. When the transmission is along the y direction, the transmitted intensity is minimum and has the value of I[0].
    (a) What is the intensity when the transmission axis makes angle θwith the x-axis? Does your answer depend on what traction of the light is unpolarized?
    (b) The original beam is made to pass first through a quarter-wave plate and then through the linear polarization analyzer. The quarter-wave plate has its axes lined up with the x and y axes. It is now found that the maximum intensity is transmitted through the two devices when the analyzer transmission axis makes an angle of 30° witht the x-axis.
    Determine what is this maximum intensity is and determine the fraction of the incident intensity which is unpolarized.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    first i found V and then used it to find fractional polarization then
    I= I[max]((1+pcos2phi)/(1+p))
    but i'm lost at b since i dont know how to apply quarter wave plate information to get teh I[max]

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?