Do Magnetic Fields Exist in All Frames of Reference?

• Thread starter Swapnil
  • Start date
In summary: EN!In summary, the conversation discusses the physical existence of E and B fields and whether they are considered as real as physical objects such as chairs. It also brings up the concept of relativity and how it may affect the perception of these fields. The discussion concludes that while fields may be observer-dependent, they still have real effects and should not be dismissed as not being "real".
Swapnil
I was thinking asbout the physical existence of E and B fields. I would assume that most devoted physicists would say that they are as real as the chairs we sit on (I forgot the exact quote and the person who said it). But doesn't relativity disprove this fact? For example, consider the following thought experiment:

Say there are two observers A and B. Say observer A is on a train which is moving at some speed relative to observer B who is outside on the ground watching observer A pass by. Now, say there is positive charge infront of observer A. Accorrding to observer A there would be no magnetic fields emanating from the charge since the charge is stationary in his frame. However, according to observer B there would magnetic fields emanating from the charge because there charge is moving according to him.

Most physicists would resolve this apparent paradox by saying that the combination of E-fields, M-fields, length contraction, time delation etc would make it such that the net effect of that charge on its surroundings would be the same and hence there is no paradox.

However, doesn't this imply that magnetic fields are not real (since one person "sees" it the the other doesn't). And only their combined effect(i.e. forces) are real?

Physics news on Phys.org
That's why relativistically, the electromagnetic field is really one thing. It's mathematically represented as a rank-2 antisymmetric tensor field (think 4x4 antisymmetric matrix). The standard electric and mangetic fields may be derived from this, but they are observer-dependent. I don't think this diminishes their physical "reality" at all (as much as that means anything).

If I'm in an airplane over Manhattan, and my son is waiting for a train in Penn Station, then we see quite different views. But they are both views of Manhattan.

B and E are real in the sense that they do real things -- move charges, carry TV images, make the hair on your head stand up,... when you examine the end result of whatever you do with E and B, your confusion should be eased.
Regards,
Reilly Atkinson

Swapnil said:
I was thinking asbout the physical existence of E and B fields. I would assume that most devoted physicists would say that they are as real as the chairs we sit on (I forgot the exact quote and the person who said it). But doesn't relativity disprove this fact? For example, consider the following thought experiment:

Say there are two observers A and B. Say observer A is on a train which is moving at some speed relative to observer B who is outside on the ground watching observer A pass by. Now, say there is positive charge infront of observer A. Accorrding to observer A there would be no magnetic fields emanating from the charge since the charge is stationary in his frame. However, according to observer B there would magnetic fields emanating from the charge because there charge is moving according to him.

Most physicists would resolve this apparent paradox by saying that the combination of E-fields, M-fields, length contraction, time delation etc would make it such that the net effect of that charge on its surroundings would be the same and hence there is no paradox.

However, doesn't this imply that magnetic fields are not real (since one person "sees" it the the other doesn't). And only their combined effect(i.e. forces) are real?
Special Relativity may explain why the magnetic force is a relativistic effect caused by relative motion of negative and positive charges. Your question seems to assume that the electric field is more "real" than the magnetic field. While the concept of "field" is a useful mathematical model that we can use to predict results, we should not get hung up on whether any field is "real".

The concept of the "field" was invented because we had a conceptual difficulty with Newton's "action at a distance". It is a successful model that gives us consistent results that fit with all known observation. Whether there is anything "there" or not does not matter to the scientist, and may be unknowable.

AM

1. What exactly are EM-fields?

EM-fields, short for electromagnetic fields, are a type of physical field that is present around electrically charged particles and objects. They are made up of two components - an electric field and a magnetic field - that are perpendicular to each other and oscillate in space.

2. How do EM-fields interact with matter?

EM-fields interact with matter through a process called electromagnetic induction. This means that when an EM-field passes through a conductive material, it induces an electric current within the material. This is why we can use EM-fields for communication and energy transfer.

3. Are EM-fields really real or just a theoretical concept?

Yes, EM-fields are indeed real and have been proven through various experiments and observations. They play a crucial role in many everyday technologies, such as radio and television, and are a fundamental concept in physics.

4. Can EM-fields be harmful to human health?

There is ongoing research on the potential health effects of EM-fields, particularly from electronic devices and power lines. While some studies have shown possible negative impacts, the overall consensus is that the levels of EM-fields we encounter in daily life are not harmful.

5. How are EM-fields related to light?

EM-fields and light are closely related, as light is a form of electromagnetic radiation. This means that light is made up of oscillating electric and magnetic fields that travel through space. The only difference is that light has a wider range of frequencies, while EM-fields can have a wider range of wavelengths.