The E Field Around a Wire with a Constant Current

In summary, when a solenoid is turned on there is a pulse of EM radiation that is emitted. This radiation is in accordance with everyday experience. However, when there is no change in current a long time after turn on, the E field around the wire should dissipate.
enroger
Consider a wire, if I suddenly pass current on it. There would be an instant localized B field around the wire. Since there is sudden change of B field, there will also be a finite E field. According to Maxwell equation E=B/c.

As the B field spread out the E field will follow, even when the current is stable and B field stop changing the E field will still be there with the B field. But this has got to be wrong right? Otherwise whenever we turn on a solenoid there will be an observable E field around it!??

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation you mentioned is not valid.

I presume you mean:
[tex]\nabla\times\textbf{E}=-\frac{1}{c}\frac{\partial E}{\partial t}[/tex]

This Faraday's law:

from Wikipedia:
"Faraday's law of induction states that the induced electromotive force in a closed loop of wire is directly proportional to the time rate of change of magnetic flux through the loop."

So you would get a current in a conductor MOVING through the B-field of a solenoid, but not when static.

Neu,

I think you made an error in the LaTex formula (enroger's is not correct, either). The appropriate equation is:

[tex]\nabla\times\textbf{H} = \frac{1}{c}( \frac{\partial}{\partial t}\textbf{E}+4\pi \textbf{i})[/tex]

Differentiating this, to get a time-varying current, and I think you will find that when a solenoid is turned on or off, a pulse of EM radiation is emitted, in accordance with everyday experience. The EEs in the audience should be able to give a better idea of what happens

yeah sorry i meant:
[tex]\nabla\times\textbf{E}=-\frac{\partial \textbf{B}}{\partial t}[/tex]

The fact that there is a pulse of E field accompany with B field when the solenoid got turn on has no problem. What I want to know is: When there is no change in current a long time after turn on, therefore no change in B field around the wire, would there still be a E field around the wire?

I think the answer is no, but I can't derive that out of maxwell equation. help?

1. What is the E-field around a wire with a constant current?

The E-field around a wire with a constant current is a type of electromagnetic field that is created when a steady flow of electric current passes through a wire. It is represented by vector lines that show the direction and strength of the electric field.

2. How does the E-field vary around a wire with a constant current?

The E-field around a wire with a constant current varies in strength and direction depending on the distance from the wire. The field is strongest closer to the wire and decreases as the distance increases. The direction of the field is perpendicular to the wire, forming concentric circles around it.

3. What factors affect the strength of the E-field around a wire with a constant current?

The strength of the E-field around a wire with a constant current is affected by the magnitude of the current, the distance from the wire, and the material and shape of the wire. A higher current and closer distance will result in a stronger E-field, while certain materials and shapes can affect the field as well.

4. How is the E-field around a wire with a constant current measured?

The E-field around a wire with a constant current can be measured using a tool called an electric field meter. This device measures the strength and direction of electric fields and can be used to determine the E-field around a wire with a constant current at a specific location.

5. What are some real-life applications of the E-field around a wire with a constant current?

The E-field around a wire with a constant current has many practical applications, such as in power transmission lines, electric motors, and generators. It is also used in medical devices, such as MRI machines, and in electronic circuits for communication and computing.