EM Wave direction and frequency

In summary, you correctly solved the first questions, and you're very close to the "frequency" answer. However, you're stuck on why they would not have the same frequency.
physics noob
hi guys i had a quick question about EM waves

given EM traveling west, B field oscilates vertically and has f= 80,000 Hz and a rms strength of 6.75e-9 T what are the frequency and rms strength of electric field and what direction...

so for direction i have it ocscillating horizontally and for rms strength i have E= cB

so E = 2 v/m but for frequency i have no idea

wavelength * f = v but i have no idea what wavelength is... any help is appreciated thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
physics noob said:
hi guys i had a quick question about EM waves

given EM traveling west, B field oscilates vertically and has f= 80,000 Hz and a rms strength of 6.75e-9 T what are the frequency and rms strength of electric field and what direction...

so for direction i have it ocscillating horizontally and for rms strength i have E= cB

so E = 2 v/m but for frequency i have no idea

wavelength * f = v but i have no idea what wavelength is... any help is appreciated thanks!
you correctly solved the first questions
you're very close to the "frequency" answer.
how is the freq of the E field related to the freq of the B field in this EM wave?
(hint: think "equal")

also FYI:
(frequency)*(wavelength) = velocity = c = 3x108 m/sec
since you know that frequency = 80,000 Hz, you can also determine wavelength of this EM wave (altho it's not required for the problem solution)

thanks for your help, i got it now, forgot that c=V thanks again

actually, I am kinda stuck again,,,,, if i used V=c,,, then i would get a wavelength of 3750m, and then when i try to find frequency of E field, i would get that it has the same frequency of B field, becuase A=B B=C
A must = C
A being B field frequency and C being E field frequency

...i GUESS i can live with it...lol...thanks guys

1. What is the direction of an EM wave?

The direction of an EM wave is perpendicular to the direction of both the electric and magnetic fields. This is known as the direction of propagation, and it is always at a right angle to the electric and magnetic fields.

2. How is the direction of an EM wave determined?

The direction of an EM wave is determined by the orientation of the electric and magnetic fields. These fields oscillate perpendicular to each other and to the direction of propagation, creating a transverse wave.

3. Can the direction of an EM wave change?

Yes, the direction of an EM wave can change when it interacts with different materials or objects. This is known as refraction, and it causes the wave to bend as it passes through different mediums.

4. What is the frequency of an EM wave?

The frequency of an EM wave is the number of complete oscillations of the electric and magnetic fields per second. It is measured in Hertz (Hz) and is directly related to the wavelength of the wave.

5. How does the frequency of an EM wave affect its properties?

The frequency of an EM wave determines its energy and wavelength. Higher frequencies have shorter wavelengths and carry more energy, while lower frequencies have longer wavelengths and carry less energy. This is why EM waves with higher frequencies, such as X-rays, have more potential to cause harm to living cells.