Why do electromagnetic waves oscillate?

In summary, ScottWallace asks what constitutes an oscillating field, and explains that the wave is an oscillatory disturbance in the potential of the electric field.
scottwallace
Hi everyone,

I have a specific question regarding the nature of electromagnetic waves. I understand he basics of EM waves (frequency, amplitude, wavelength, etc.) and that 'it' is a pair of oscillating fields; one electric and one magnetic, perpendicular to the direction of travel.

What I want to understand is, *what* exactly is oscillating?

I know that all EM radiation is composed of photons... but are the photons themselves traveling a sinusoidal path through space? I suspect not. Is the EM wave pattern simply the total sum of the probabilities of the location of the photons at any given moment?

I am hoping someone can help answer this question for me (and that I've asked it correctly!).

Physics news on Phys.org
The Photon IS the wave. More specifically, the energy of a photon propegates AS a wave with oscillating fields. The photon isn't a little ball that travels through space which simply acts like a wave because we can't find the particle.

I believe the FAQ in the general physics forum has more info on this.

Drakkith said:
The Photon IS the wave. More specifically, the energy of a photon propegates AS a wave with oscillating fields. The photon isn't a little ball that travels through space which simply acts like a wave because we can't find the particle.

Ok, so I worded the question badly. ;)

I'm trying to determine what the "oscillating fields" are made of. How is the energy stored in those waves? What comprises those fields? (Again, sorry if I'm just not 'getting it')

Drakkith said:
I believe the FAQ in the general physics forum has more info on this.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Hello ScottWallace, that is a very good question (yes you asked it quite correctly) that occupied the minds of some of the greatest physicists for centuries.

There was once a proposal that the oscillating 'substance' was called the Lumeniferous Aether and the (unsuccessful) search for it lead to the Theory of Relativity.

To try to answer your question I will concentrate on the electric field.

What do we mean by an electric field?
Well it is a zone of space where susceptible objects willl be influenced by it. That is they will experience a force. This is similar to the gravitational field.

Now we know that the potential energy of an object in a gravitational field depends upon its position (height above surface). We can also say that the 'gravitational potential' at any point is some specific value. This potential has the same value, regardless of the object that is placed at that point. The potential energy is the value of the 'potential' multiplied by the mass.

We can do a similar thing with an electric field. We say that there is an 'electric potentia'l at any point. The potential energy of a charge is the potential multiplied by the charge.

Now the big difference is that, so far as we know, gravity does not oscillate ( gravity waves have been postulated) but the electric potential can indeed oscillate.

Now neither potential' needs a medium they both function perfectly well in a vacuum.

We can develop a similar argument for a magnetic potential.

So the wave is an oscillatory disturbance in the potential of the electric field.

Hope this helps.

I can explain that electromagnetic waves oscillate because they are made up of changing electric and magnetic fields. These fields are created by the movement of charged particles, such as electrons, which are constantly oscillating or vibrating. This oscillation creates a disturbance in the electric and magnetic fields, which in turn create an electromagnetic wave that travels through space.

To understand this better, imagine a pebble being dropped into a pond. The ripples created on the surface of the water are similar to the oscillations of the electric and magnetic fields in an electromagnetic wave. Just like the ripples in the pond, the electric and magnetic fields of an electromagnetic wave also have a specific frequency and amplitude, which determine the properties of the wave.

As for the question about photons, they are not oscillating in the same way as the electric and magnetic fields. Photons are particles of energy that make up electromagnetic waves, but they do not travel in a sinusoidal path. Instead, they move in a straight line, while the wave itself oscillates around them.

In summary, electromagnetic waves oscillate because of the constantly changing electric and magnetic fields created by the movement of charged particles. This oscillation is what allows the wave to travel through space and carry energy. I hope this explanation helps to answer your question.

1. What are electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves are a form of energy that consists of both electric and magnetic fields oscillating perpendicular to each other and perpendicular to the direction of wave propagation. They are produced by the acceleration of electric charges and can travel through a vacuum.

2. How do electromagnetic waves propagate?

Electromagnetic waves propagate through a medium or a vacuum by creating a disturbance in the electric and magnetic fields. These disturbances cause the fields to interact with each other, creating a self-propagating wave that can travel at the speed of light.

3. What is the electromagnetic spectrum?

The electromagnetic spectrum is the range of all possible frequencies of electromagnetic radiation. It includes radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, visible light, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays. Each type of electromagnetic radiation has a different frequency and wavelength.

4. How do EM waves interact with matter?

EM waves interact with matter in different ways depending on the frequency of the wave and the properties of the material. Some materials can absorb, reflect, or transmit EM waves, while others can cause the wave to change direction or scatter. The interaction between EM waves and matter is the basis for many technologies, such as radios and microwaves.

5. What are the applications of EM waves?

EM waves have a wide range of applications in various fields, including communication, medicine, and technology. They are used in wireless communication, such as radio and television broadcasting, and in medical imaging techniques like X-rays and MRI. They are also used in industrial processes, such as heating and welding, and in remote sensing technologies, such as radar and satellite imaging.