EMF in a square loop due to magnetic field from an infinite wire

In summary, the homework statement is to calculate the emf induced in a square loop when the loop stays at rest and the current in the straight wire is given by I(t)=(15.0A)sin(2500t). The distance a is 12.0 cm, and b is 15.0 cm.
Loopas

Homework Statement

Determine the emf induced in the square loop in the figure if the loop stays at rest and the current in the straight wire is given by I(t)=(15.0A)sin(2500t) where t is in seconds. The distance a is 12.0 cm, and b is 15.0 cm.

Homework Equations

emf = Δmagneticflux/Δt
magnetic flux = BA
magnetic field from infinite wire = (μI)/(2*pi*R)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the using the magnetic field from the wire and the area of the square loop to calculate magnetic flux. My final answer was: (2.9*10^-7*sin(2500t))/t

But this isn't the right answer, so I'm guessing that I have to integrate with Faraday's Law but I am clueless about integrals

Attachments

• GIANCOLI.ch29.p26.jpg
    GIANCOLI.ch29.p26.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 1,864
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, Loopas.

Loopas said:
so I'm guessing that I have to integrate with Faraday's Law

That's right.

but I am clueless about integrals

Does that mean you don't know how to evaluate elementary integrals? Is this problem from a course that requires calculus as a prerequisite?

Also, the EMF = - [itex]\frac{dø}{dt}[/itex], meaning you need to take a derivative with respect to t, not divide by t.

Well let's put it this way... I'm supposed to have a clue about integrals, but it's something that still eludes my full understanding, especially when integrating things like Faraday's Law, Ampere's Law, all of that good stuff.

So I'm guessing that the first step in this problem should be to integrate the magnetic field of b > r > b+a using Ampere's Law? And then Faraday's Law is somehow used find the emf?

Yes. You'll first need to find the total flux through the loop. Since the field varies with distance from the wire, you cannot use ##\small \Phi = BA##. Instead, you will need ##\small \int{BdA}##

The picture has already helped you by showing a thin strip of thickness dr located at a distance r from the wire. What is an expression for B at the location of this strip in terms of ##\small r##? What is an expression for the area ##\small dA## of the strip in terms of ##\small a## and ##\small dr##?

Likes 1 person
Ok, so [itex]\int\frac{μ*I(t)}{2*pi*r}*adr[/itex]

And this will be integrated from b to b+a?

Yes, that looks good. Once you have the total flux ##\small \Phi## you can use Faraday's law to calculate the emf.

Likes 1 person
I just want to make sure I'm doing this right --

I found the integral to be [itex]\frac{μI(t)a}{2pi}[/itex](ln(2pir))

Integrating from a to a+b it would be --

[itex]\frac{μI(t)a}{2pi}[/itex](ln(2pia+2pib)-ln(2pia))

Actually I messed up before, this should be correct I think

[itex]\frac{μ*I(t)*a}{2*pi}[/itex](ln(a+b)-ln(a))

:approve: Finally found it!

emf = -(5.3*10^-4)(cos(2500t))

Thanks for the help!

Great! Good work.

1. What is EMF in a square loop due to a magnetic field from an infinite wire?

The EMF (electromotive force) in a square loop is the induced voltage that occurs when a magnetic field from an infinite wire passes through the loop. This voltage is caused by the changing magnetic flux through the loop, and it follows Faraday's law of induction.

2. How is the EMF calculated in a square loop?

The EMF in a square loop can be calculated by multiplying the magnetic field strength by the area of the loop and the cosine of the angle between the magnetic field and the normal vector of the loop. This equation is expressed as: EMF = B * A * cos(theta).

3. What is the direction of the induced current in a square loop due to an infinite wire?

The direction of the induced current in a square loop depends on the direction of the magnetic field and the orientation of the loop. By using the right-hand rule, the direction of the induced current can be determined to be either clockwise or counterclockwise.

4. How does the EMF change as the loop moves closer or farther away from the infinite wire?

The EMF in a square loop is directly proportional to the distance between the loop and the infinite wire. As the loop moves closer to the wire, the EMF increases, and as it moves farther away, the EMF decreases. This is because the magnetic field strength decreases with distance according to the inverse square law.

5. Can the EMF in a square loop be eliminated?

No, the EMF in a square loop cannot be eliminated as long as there is a changing magnetic field passing through the loop. However, it can be minimized by reducing the strength of the magnetic field, decreasing the area of the loop, or changing the orientation of the loop relative to the magnetic field.