Emission of EM Wave: Why Does it Happen?

In summary, oscillating electric current can produce electromagnetic waves from an antenna. Frequency of generated electromagnetic wave is the same as frequency of oscillations of current in the antenna.
justwild
In wikipedia's description of transmitter, if an alternating current is given to an antenna, then the antenna radiates off em wave.
But why this happens so?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nobody knows - "why" questions are not what science does.

However - the EM waves comes of an accelerating electron because electricity and magnetism are part of the same force. The force is described by Maxwell's equations.
The exact description depends on which model you want to use - so some sort of context would hep here.

The simplistic description is this:

1. An electric current produces a magnetic field.

2. An oscillating (alternating) electric current produces an oscillating magnetic field.

3. An oscillating magnetic field "produces" an oscillating electric field, which in turn "produces" more oscillating magnetic fields, which in turn "produce" more oscillating electric fields, etc. via the time-derivative terms in Maxwell's equations. These oscillations propagate at speed c.

A more accurate version of step 3 is that oscillating magnetic fields are inevitably associated with oscillating electric fields, both propagating at speed c, again via the time-derivative terms in Maxwell's equations. This avoids the implication of a circular cause and effect chain.

jtbell said:
The simplistic description is this:

1. An electric current produces a magnetic field.

2. An oscillating (alternating) electric current produces an oscillating magnetic field.

3. An oscillating magnetic field "produces" an oscillating electric field, which in turn "produces" more oscillating magnetic fields, which in turn "produce" more oscillating electric fields, etc. via the time-derivative terms in Maxwell's equations. These oscillations propagate at speed c.

A more accurate version of step 3 is that oscillating magnetic fields are inevitably associated with oscillating electric fields, both propagating at speed c, again via the time-derivative terms in Maxwell's equations. This avoids the implication of a circular cause and effect chain.

Ok, oscillating electric current can produce electromagnetic waves from an antenna. Frequency of generated electromagnetic wave is the same as frequency of oscillations of current in the antenna. I think I'm correct on my last sentence.

Then I think it is also possible to observe visible light from an antenna by controlling frequency of oscillations of its current.

Just a thought.

Neandethal00 said:
Ok, oscillating electric current can produce electromagnetic waves from an antenna. Frequency of generated electromagnetic wave is the same as frequency of oscillations of current in the antenna. I think I'm correct on my last sentence.

Then I think it is also possible to observe visible light from an antenna by controlling frequency of oscillations of its current.

Just a thought.

Not from a standard antenna. We simply can't oscillate the electrons back and forth at a high enough frequency, it's just way too high! Perhaps future technology will have the ability to do so, and I think I might have read something about nano-scale antennas that can do this, but I really don't know.

Yah. In principle one could oscillate charges to get optical EM fields ... particularly in the classical model considered here. However, the material properties of the antenna are also important.

We usually exploit some other properties instead ... like heating the metal until it glows.
There is a point where the classical "light wave" model stops being useful.

Related to Emission of EM Wave: Why Does it Happen?

1. What is an EM wave?

An EM (electromagnetic) wave is a type of energy that is created when an electric field and magnetic field interact. It is a form of electromagnetic radiation and is made up of oscillating electric and magnetic fields that travel through space at the speed of light.

2. Why does emission of EM wave happen?

Emission of EM wave happens because of the interaction between electric and magnetic fields. When an electrically charged object moves or changes its speed, it creates a change in the electric field which then creates a change in the magnetic field. This creates a ripple effect, resulting in the emission of an EM wave.

3. What causes objects to emit EM waves?

Objects emit EM waves when they have an accelerating electric charge. This can happen when an object is heated, when it changes direction or speed, or when it is subjected to an external electric or magnetic field. The amount and type of EM wave emitted depends on the properties of the object and the type of acceleration it experiences.

4. How do EM waves travel through space?

EM waves travel through space as transverse waves, meaning that the direction of the wave is perpendicular to the direction of the oscillations of the electric and magnetic fields. They do not require a medium to travel through, unlike sound waves which require a medium of air or water. EM waves can travel through a vacuum, which is why they are able to travel through space.

5. What are the different types of EM waves?

There are many different types of EM waves, each with different wavelengths and frequencies. The electromagnetic spectrum includes radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, visible light, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays. Each type of EM wave has different properties and uses, from communication and technology to medical imaging and radiation therapy.