.Can a Black Hole Become Unstable?

In summary, a black hole can only exist within a universe, and the properties of each would be very different.
piercas
a perhaps idiot question from a dummy : can a black hole become unstable ?
Because I imagine the universe at it's origin had to be a super black hole comprising all matter. If there has been a big bang then that super black hole should have become unstable causing the bang

Astronomy news on Phys.org
piercas said:
Because I imagine the universe at it's origin had to be a super black hole comprising all matter. If there has been a big bang then that super black hole should have become unstable causing the bang

I’m way over my head in this, but I would say a black hole can only exist within a universe, and the properties of each would be very different.

Hi piercas, welcome to PF. Ordinarily a black hole is quite stable once formed. Theoretically, they will all eventually evaporate, but the universe will be a long dead ember by the time that happens. Most theorists do not regard the universe as a whole to be, or have formed from a black hole. The mathematical description of the cosmic singularity [big bang] and gravitational singularities [black holes] are not the same. If, however, the universe is an inverted black hole, the big bang would have happened when that particular black hole formed in whatever spacetime region it resides.

What do we know exactly about the origin of the universe and what do we mean by 'universe'. Is it the univse of matter ?What about 'before' the big bang. 'time' did not exist ? But that 'singularity' had to exist, 'had' including a factor time. Besides what is the definition of 'time'. Perhaps it's what is allowing us
eventually to die.

piercas said:
What do we know exactly about the origin of the universe and what do we mean by 'universe'. Is it the univse of matter ?What about 'before' the big bang. 'time' did not exist ?
But that 'singularity' had to exist, 'had' including a factor time.
Besides what is the definition of 'time'. Perhaps it's what is allowing us eventually to die.
Whoa, drinking from a firehose!

'origin of the universe': depends on how iron-clad you like your science. IMHO, there is an absolute barrier ... the first Planck second; before that we cannot possibly have any f**ing clue (our two most successful, 'universal' theories - QFT and GR - are wildly inconsistent then, so how could we possibly have any confidence in any science-based answer?)

'universe' is pretty simple; a) everything; b) everything that's encompassed by the domain of QFT+GR. Under the former, 'multiverses' make sense, and are (partially) amenable to science-based investigation; under the latter, anything beyond is no different from the labours of pottery magicians.

'matter' (is all you need): from the first Planck second, yes (as long as you extend the definition of 'matter' to DM and DE)

'before the Big Bang': the clouds that I see from the window of my study reveal, with crystal clarity, the spirits of the pets of my neighbours, friends, and relatives. The previous sentence has as much (scientific) validity as your question. Please do take the time to understand that 'before' (in this context) is as theory-laden as 'black holes have no hair'

'time did not exist': see above.
But that 'singularity' had to exist, 'had' including a factor time.
See above.

'what is the definition of time?': I suggest that you spend some time reading a good book on GR; alternatively, you could read some philosophy. Either way, please decide if you are looking for something scientific (in which case we will continue our discussion here), or not (in which case I will gladly copy your posts into the relevant part of the Philosophy section of PF).

Last edited:
piercas said:
I thought the universe's Big Bang was caused by a atom that blew up or something like that. Plus the Big Bang is only a theory

Allstrr2112 said:
I thought the universe's Big Bang was caused by a atom that blew up or something like that.
Whoever gave you that idea?
Plus the Big Bang is only a theory
Correct. However, the hot big bang model is the best model we currently have and, whilst it has its downfalls, it explains a lot of observations that other theories cannot.

The BB hypothesis only holds water after the first few ticks of Planck time. That is a pretty impressive, albeit imperfect approximation. What preceded that 'time' remains unkown, and quite possibly unknowable.

Allstrr2112 said:
Plus the Big Bang is only a theory
Atoms are only theory too. Just because something is theory does not mean it should be qualified as "only".

Some theories are more robust than others. Nothing is absolute [a notion Einstein would likely endorse] - everything is theory. Separating the wheat from the chaff is the issue.

Can somebody tell me what these two letter theories are?

Do they have a name other then the two letters? I'm new to this space stuff, and am looking for more information, I tried using just the letters to find information; as of now I've been less then successful...

Thanks

Dark energy, Dark matter, General relativity.

Ah so simple.

Thanks

Chronos said:
Separating the wheat from the chaff is the issue.
Preponderance of evidence, Lack of competing theories.

The Big Bang, while not a slam dunk in either department, is pretty far out in the lead.

So we go with this theory unless there is a compelling reason to look elsewhere.

1. Can a black hole suddenly disappear?

Yes, it is possible for a black hole to disappear. This can happen through a process called Hawking radiation, where particles are emitted from the black hole causing it to lose mass over time. However, this process is very slow and it would take an extremely long time for a black hole to completely disappear.

2. Can a black hole explode?

No, a black hole cannot explode. This is because the immense gravitational pull of a black hole prevents anything, including light, from escaping. Therefore, there is no way for an explosion to occur within a black hole.

3. Can a black hole merge with another black hole?

Yes, black holes can merge with each other. This typically happens when two black holes are in close proximity to each other and their gravitational forces cause them to spiral towards each other. Once they merge, the resulting black hole is larger and more powerful.

4. Can a black hole's size change?

Yes, a black hole's size can change. As mentioned earlier, black holes can lose mass through Hawking radiation. They can also gain mass through accretion, where they absorb surrounding matter and increase in size. However, the size of a black hole is determined by its mass and spin, which are relatively stable over time.

5. Can a black hole stop growing?

Yes, a black hole can stop growing. Once a black hole reaches a certain size, it will stop growing because it has absorbed all the available matter in its vicinity. However, if more matter is added to the black hole, it can continue to grow in size.