Energy and basic math (proportionality)

In summary, when a person running in a race has to pick up a mass equal to her own mass, her speed will be decreased by a factor of 0.71. This can be found by taking the square root of the equation v1^2 = (1/2)v0^2, where v0 represents the initial speed and v1 represents the final speed.
Natko

Homework Statement

A person running in a race has to pick up a mass equal to her own mass. Assuming she can still do the same
amount of work, her speed will be changed by a factor of
a. 0.25
b. 0.50
c. 0.71
d. 1
e. 2

Homework Equations

E=1/2mv2

The Attempt at a Solution

Since m is doubled, v2 should be halved. I'm stuck now. But the correct answer is 0.71. Can someone explain how?

Physics news on Phys.org
Natko said:

Homework Statement

A person running in a race has to pick up a mass equal to her own mass. Assuming she can still do the same
amount of work, her speed will be changed by a factor of
a. 0.25
b. 0.50
c. 0.71
d. 1
e. 2

Homework Equations

E=1/2mv2

The Attempt at a Solution

Since m is doubled, v2 should be halved. I'm stuck now. But the correct answer is 0.71. Can someone explain how?
You're correct that ##v^2## should be halved (multiplied by a factor of 1/2). So what does that say about the factor by which ##v## should be decreased?

goraemon said:
You're correct that ##v^2## should be halved (multiplied by a factor of 1/2). So what does that say about the factor by which ##v## should be decreased?

Well, 1/2 squared is 0.25, and 12 halved is 0.5. How do I get to 0.71?

Natko said:
Well, 1/2 squared is 0.25, and 12 halved is 0.5. How do I get to 0.71?

You know that her initial kinetic energy is ##\frac{1}{2}mv_{0}^2##, the final kinetic energy is ##\frac{1}{2}(2m)v_{1}^2##.

You need to find what the relationship between v1 and v0 is. Ask yourself, how can you do so given the above equations?

goraemon said:
You know that her initial kinetic energy is ##\frac{1}{2}mv_{0}^2##, the final kinetic energy is ##\frac{1}{2}(2m)v_{1}^2##.

You need to find what the relationship between v1 and v0 is. Ask yourself, how can you do so given the above equations?

v12 = ((1/2)v0)2

If I let v0 = 1, then v1 = sqrt(1/2), which equals 0.71 :)

Last edited:
Natko said:
v12 = (1/2)v02

If I let v0 = 1, then v1 = 1/2, which doesn't work out.

That's not true. Check your math. As you state above, you've simplified the equation to the following:

##v_{1}^2=\frac{1}{2}v_{0}^2##

So just take the square root of both sides. What does that get you?

goraemon said:
That's not true. Check your math. As you state above, you've simplified the equation to the following:

##v_{1}^2=\frac{1}{2}v_{0}^2##

So just take the square root of both sides. What does that get you?

Changed my previous post. Thanks!

1. What is energy and how is it measured?

Energy is the ability to do work or cause change. It can be measured in joules (J) or calories (cal).

2. What is the relationship between energy and mass?

The relationship between energy and mass is described by Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2. This means that energy (E) is equal to mass (m) multiplied by the speed of light (c) squared.

3. How is energy conserved in a closed system?

In a closed system, energy cannot be created or destroyed, but only transferred from one form to another. This is known as the Law of Conservation of Energy.

4. What is the difference between potential and kinetic energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or condition, while kinetic energy is the energy an object has due to its motion. Potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy and vice versa.

5. How can proportionality be used to understand energy?

In basic math, proportionality is used to describe the relationship between two quantities. In the context of energy, proportionality can be used to understand how changing one factor (such as mass or velocity) can affect the amount of energy in a system. For example, the kinetic energy of an object is directly proportional to its mass and the square of its velocity.